poll on rear bar design - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

View Poll Results: Which rear bar
option 1 48 56.47%
option 2 12 14.12%
option 3 17 20.00%
complete redesign cuz these all suck. 8 9.41%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-09-2008
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like bits of both #1 and #3. #1 tube design contrasts with the square/boxyness of the XJ body (seen pics of Jimmy's XJ with JBitz tube rear bar/carrier which is good regardless).
I have had many a thought how SHS 50x50mm or bigger would look in the same way...for something different as havent seen anyone with one, + match rockrails (mine anyway) and may be easier, unless you have a pipe bender in the shed for doing yr corners on tube.
Also, putting sheet metal onto tube to fab bar would be more fiddly than just going straight out and buying silo section to suit needs, & working with that (that's if you're to go along the lines of #3).
My 3cents worth...
Old 15-09-2008
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yo Dave...ya spare wheel looks unroadworthy
# fast
Old 15-09-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

like the look of no1. also if i could put my 2cent forward, the tyre should swing out away from the left, because if you park a car on the left side and if you need to access the back you would be walking around the open tyre carrier all the time.
Old 15-09-2008
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident e View Post
like the look of no1. also if i could put my 2cent forward, the tyre should swing out away from the left, because if you park a car on the left side and if you need to access the back you would be walking around the open tyre carrier all the time.
Trouble is it swings into traffic then which is even more of a pain. I reckon keep it as short as possible so if someone is parked behind you you can still open it and you don't need big clear areas when camping just to get the carrier open. Also think about where you'll stand to open it, will you need to move to let the carrier swing through where you're standing, I spent quite a while getting the right length of carrier etc when I made mine so it was comfortable and easy to open (more for my wife and kids than me)

As for looks, the end caps of two and the main part of three. I like the tube but unless you've got a decent bender that draws the tube into the bend it will be hard to get a good looking curve with no flat spots on something strong enough to use for the corner.

Cheers
Steve
Old 18-09-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

why would it swing into traffic? how meny tail gates or tyre carriers have you seen swing out all the way around. Obviosely it'll stops at 90degrees.
Old 18-09-2008
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by resident e View Post
why would it swing into traffic? how meny tail gates or tyre carriers have you seen swing out all the way around. Obviosely it'll stops at 90degrees.
Stick a tyre on this, swap it to the drivers side and it's in traffic. Well at least enough for me to want mine on the passenger side.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve F; 18-09-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2008
Full Flexer

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...385553&page=28

here is a good one scroll down
Post New Thread  Reply