Service Electronic Throttle Control - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-06-2022
I just registered

Default Service Electronic Throttle Control

Howdy all,

So my 2021 GC Trailhawk went into limp mode for the second time within the space of about 6000kms. Needless to say having your new car on the back on a truck twice in 6 months isn't good...but I digress.

The "oil change required" warning popped up and about 10 mins later the "service electronic throttle control" message appeared with a red warning lucky I was about 2 mins from home.

The first time it happened the Jeep dealership said something was wrong with the oil viscosity so they changed it and gave it its first service, the car had 11000kms on the clock at that stage. I was a bit skeptical with their explanation but went along with it.

I'm waiting at the moment to hear what they have to say now, I let them know just changing the oil again wasn't going to cut it and they need to investigate this issue further.

The car has 17000kms on the clock

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,

Denis
Old 27-06-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If yours is a diesel have a read of your owners manual concerning the oil change intervals & resetting the oil life %. In my 2015 diesel owners manual failing to reset the oil life % when it reaches zero % (oil change required) will result in reduced engine power (limp mode) & a check engine light.

Cheers
Old 28-06-2022
I just registered

Thanks TR Laredo, hopefully the mechanics at Jeep Rockingham have a look at it and if thats the case then great. Hopefully I find out tomorrow, the cars been there for a day and a half and when I called them today they hadn't even looked at yet....I thought Jeep Australia had made a commitment to improve customer service!!! Somehow I don't think so
Old 28-06-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 126 Times in 78 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Check your MAP sensor, mine started throwing that fault and I finally tracked it down to a faulty MAP sensor. That's after I tried cleaning it 3 times. I got a S/H unit from a wrecker to test my theory and it's still fitted.
So worth a clean & check.
There's lots of info here if you do a search on MAP sensors.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...2&postcount=10
HTH..👍
Old 29-06-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 826 Times in 464 Posts

Are you saying that the vehicle had done 11000 klms and the dealership said
oil viscositywas was out.Do you tow at all ,diesel dilution of engine oil is not uncommon ,can also be faulty injector .Usually it will be noticed on the dipstick ie higher oil level caused by unburnt fuel getting into the sump. Being a bit old school I change oil earlier as I tow and do a lot of motorway travel.
Old 29-06-2022
Full Flexer

Liked 371 Times in 210 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
Are you saying that the vehicle had done 11000 klms and the dealership said
oil viscositywas was out.Do you tow at all ,diesel dilution of engine oil is not uncommon ,can also be faulty injector .Usually it will be noticed on the dipstick ie higher oil level caused by unburnt fuel getting into the sump. Being a bit old school I change oil earlier as I tow and do a lot of motorway travel.
You can also get fuel dilution when you have a DPF restriction/regen problem ie: DPF pressure differential sensor says it needs a regen so the PCM continually supplies additional fuel on the exhaust stroke until the system sensors says the regen is complete - if the sensors say the regen isn't complete then the additional fuel keeps getting injected. My Jan 15 build was getting the oil change required/zero % oil life after approx 3-3500km (2% drop in oil life for approx every 30km instead of 1% every 200km) plus I was draining out about 10ltrs of oil (fuel dilution)when I changed the oil. An off car DPF clean & another pressure differential sensor fixed the problem. Repair work was done by MTQ diesel as both the Jeep service departments I went to didn't have a clue & weren't interested in listening to the symptoms I was describing (vehicle had 1 month of warranty left). Once it was fixed I provided clear & concise technical feedback of the problem to FCA Aus plus feed back on the short comings of their service departments

Cheers
Old 04-07-2022
I just registered

Yes its a diesel and I do tow my caravan with it, only towed it twice so far. So the dealership told me the reminder for the oil life service system had incorrect software causing the vehicle to show as due too soon. They upgraded the software and reset the oil life reminder and cleared all the faults. Time will tell if its all good.
Thanks for all your replies.
Post New Thread  Reply