Rola roof rack - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Rola roof rack

My Overland came fitted with the Rola Custom Fit roof bars, the mounting system seems very flawed.
All the stress forces are placed on a single rivet nut at each attachment point, why don't they attach the bars to the rails, thereby placing the load over the four rivet nuts.
It just seems a lazy answer to mounting IMO, I only noticed it today, as I am going to have to put a long 30kg load on the bars this weekend.
I'm that concerned, I'm going to make a support that fits onto the bicycle carrier mounts, to take some of the load off the cross bars.
I will certainly be looking for a better system ASAP.
Crazy idea, especially if you are going off road, just my opinion.

Last edited by 08crd; 04-01-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2018
Established Member

Liked 40 Times in 21 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Totally agree, I fitted a Frontrunner rack as this is a lot more stable fitting, other options would be UNeek or Gobi (I think) racks though they are considerably more expensive than the Frontrunner. Have travelled with the Frontrunner rack and works well though probably still need to be careful how much you load it up on the corrugations.
Old 05-01-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

3 years ago we were considering the uneek racks vs rhino pioneer and ended up with the pioneer due to the cost. After putting up with the flexing roof due to rhino's lazy design we finally bought the uneek rack and what a difference! We figure the cost premium is good insurance against damaging the roof and are very happy with the new racks. It also looks great!

The mesh system is fine and is just as flexible as the modular tray, can mount anything anywhere using clamping plates.

This was another in a long line of lessons in our 4wd camping journey; don't cheap out the first time!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2018
I just registered

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

G'day 08CRD. I have learned the hard way... Any roof crossbars, relying on just one 6mm rivnut on each mount, is NOT SUFFICIENT to reliably hold, especially when getting tossed around on sandy terrain.
My Prorack (Yakima) Whispbar crossbars ended up almost pulling two rivnuts right out of the roof. My driving was not particularly rough and my roof weight was near to, but not over, the 60kg rating.
I managed to repair the two loosened rivnuts myself (and installed reinforcing bars under the roof skin).
I have now swapped to a Uneek rack, which spreads the weight across the roof weld seam and ties down using each of the SIX rivnuts on each side. I haven't used the Uneek rack off-road yet, but I can tell you it's a MUCH stronger system than relying on crossbars.
My advice is play it safe and do it right first time. Toss out the crossbars and invest in a better rack system asap.
I hope my lesson helps you.
Old 05-01-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Unfortunately I have to use the cross bars this weekend, i will just have to take it really slow and steady.
Old 06-01-2018
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

I chickened out and rented a trailer, will have to look into the uneek bar.

Anyone want a set of Rola racks.lol
Post New Thread  Reply