BCM issue? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2023
Back again

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 59 Times in 50 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default BCM issue?

So looks like I get another learning opportunity.

Started the car today and the dash lights came on, just the normal illumination lights. Turned the headlights on, but no indication came up, headlights did work though. All guages work well. Electric windows don't work, heater just blows hot air and seems to have gone back to Imperial units. Sunroof works. Door chime doesn't. EVIC has just dashes, but the menu systems still work.Interior lights don't work

Car starts and drives normally.

WJDiagPro can't communicate with the BCM, but it can open and close the windows.

Has anyone seen this before? Cheers, Rob.

Shoes are for people with jobs...
Old 17-11-2023
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Would anyone one if the BCM is the same across all engine types? Could I grab a V8 one a and put it in?

Fuses 7,22, and 28 are all good, and there is power to fuse 7.

Old 17-11-2023
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Man I love this car.

Late last night I had pulled the fuses, wiggled some stuff, and checked some voltages. When I left it, I still had no interior lights and figured nothing was fixed.

Hop in it this morning and everything is working fine again.

Whoever came and fixed it overnight, I thank you.

Gotta love self solving problems, and now I get to have the constant fear each time I open the door that it might just happen again......

Cheers, Rob.

Old 17-11-2023
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Just FYI really. Now I have comms back with the BCM, here is the list of stored fault codes. All have cleared away and everything is still working as it should.

Old 17-11-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I am not sure if the BCM is on the CAN bus or not, so this may or may not help...

I had a similar issue a few years ago, but it was with the TCU. I traced it down to dirty/corroded terminals on the CAN plug. Cleaned them up and the problem never came back.

The moral of the story - check the bus terminals on the BCM.
Old 17-11-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Okay - did some quick reading. The BCM runs on the PCI bus. The PCI bus operates at 7.5V. This is a little better than the 2.5V to 3.75V of CAN bus, but would still be susceptible to failure via dirty or corroded terminals.

EDIT:
The BCM has just one part number listed (05083892AE for 2004 or 5019815AF for older) irrespective of engine or LHD/RHD.

Last edited by JeanLuke; 17-11-2023 at 11:40 AM.
Old 17-11-2023
Back again

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks JeanLuke.

I am running with that basic theory for now. The wiggling has helped clean up a contact a little somewhere. I have suspected comms issues with my car a few times now.

My mind was starting to run down the fried BCM. Now I know it isn't the case, if it happens again it will all be coming out for a good clean.

Post New Thread  Reply