Sargent Green - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2022
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Snorkel take 2

Well I'm usually a "Rugged Ridge" fan but the Amfib snorkel is a bust for me

While it looks the goods, I feel the plastic it is made from is too soft and combined with under bonnet temps it deforms with the heat.
Yes I obviously overtightened this snorkel but in my defense I only did it up as I have done with many snorkels in the past.

Scroll down for the replacement

Bravo Snorkel.

(fun fact) I now know why you need to mod these under bonnet snorkels and it's not just that we are RHD. The master cylinder reservoir has a larger capacity, sits forward and higher than the JL due to the JT having larger brakes in the rear.

I used a garden drain endcap that was just the right size to fit over the reservoir cap, cut to shape, used a hole saw the same size to cut the snorkel and plasti-welded the 2 together with a soldering iron. First time trying this so let's see how it goes
Also fitted Rugged Ridge Headlight Guards, aren't going to protect shit but I like the look.
Old 05-09-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Very jealous!! Jeez u must b very rich!!

When u were outback where did u sleep? On ground swag? Tent? Van/trailer? Motel?
Old 05-09-2022
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdingerslammer View Post
Very jealous!! Jeez u must b very rich!
Unfortunately not but can't afford to let subpar equipment cost me more money
Hopefully I can get some $ back when I sell the AMFIB on F/B, already had offers even after I gave it a bad review and posted pics. Go figure.

Quote:
When u were outback where did u sleep? On ground swag? Tent? Van/trailer? Motel?
First two nights pub rooms Bourke and Thargomindah

Camp (tent on stretcher, my son in a swag)
Innamincka
Batoota
Birdsville Caravan Park
QAA between Big Red and Poeppel Corner,
2 nights on the Hay
Jervois Station
Alice Springs caravan park
Lambert Centre,
Mt Dare via Old Andado Station
Oodnadatta Caravan Park (pub is closed but there is a bar in the Pink Roadhouse )
Maree Caravan Park
Cameron Corner

Pub Room

Mulga Creek Holel Byrock
All black top for the rest of the way home 540km the next day.
Old 05-09-2022
Full Flexer

Camp (tent on stretcher, my son in a swag)

stayed in some of those places:

Birdsville CP (towed a caravan to the races 2002 with a Magna SW);
Alice Springs CP ( a few times now); Oodnadatta CP ( lso a few times); Maree CP; Cameron Corner (47C at 6pm and far too many flies for that heat).

I thought that Old Andado Station is now closed to public.
Old 06-09-2022
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
I thought that Old Andado Station is now closed to public.
No it's open with camping, showers and toilets.
It looks mostly intact, too far for souvenir hunters to go I suppose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_114434.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	79912   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_120142.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	79913   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_120042.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	79914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_115838.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	79915   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_121009 (2).jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	79916  

Last edited by Clarky; 06-09-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2022
Full Flexer

OK, it's still open ... so will re-consider my travel plans...

Would you believe.... my mother cooked on pretty much the exact same wooden stove as the one in your photos.

Almost always burned mallee root as fire source. She could sniff the temperature of the oven. The best cakes and casseroles and stews etc you could imagine came out of the oven or from the top of the stove.

Pretty much the same shaped kettles and pots as well although I remember earlier ones were enamelled steel.

On one corner was a 5 gallon "fountain" with a very long brass tap that served as the hot water source. As kids we were not allowed to let it run dry or let the fire go out. We copped it if one or the other or both happened.

Our original house was galvanised corrugated iron just like this one although ours did have the luxury of internal lining with plaster boards (earlier version of today's "Gyprock"). It was stinking hot in the summer heat (sometimes 45C) and freezing cold in winter. The stove doubled as the house heater in the winter.

The positioning of the stove, in an alcove that abutted the house structure rather than being part of it served 2 purposes... it added floor space in the house and also meant that if the stove caught fire (particularly the chimney) hopefully the whole house would not go up. The alcove could be quickly pulled down from the outside and the fire extinguished. Chimney fires were quite common especially if it was not de-sooted regular (like every 6 months).

I just love that old long nosed car in your last photo.... wonder what it is/was? Can you imagine it in the day travelling to and from Old Andado from where?

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 07-09-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-09-2022
Irok Bandit

Check out my Ride(s)

Humber Super Snipe

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220814_121048.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	79930   Click image for larger version