Broken plastic blend door selector (i think) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2021
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Broken plastic blend door selector (i think)

Good morning,
I know there has been a fair bit of coverage on issues with a/c, but the search function on my phone doesn't work and the recent ones don't answer my problem.
One of the plastic bits that the actuator moves has broken on my 06 TJ.
Is this part replaceable? I can only find up to an 01.
Any help, much appreciated.
Cheers
Joe

Sorry about the crappy pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210331_095959.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	79305  
Old 02-04-2021
RustysRocker

Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

The levers were never available from Jeep even for earlier models. The two that can be bought are only available because an after-market company decided to make them.

Having said that, the RHD HVAC assembly is a mirror image of the early LHD HVAC system. If the levers are an exact mirror they may be keyed incorrectly on the star part that goes into the arm. If your broken lever is one of the two available I'm not sure if any difference in key angle would mean the LHD lever could not be used.

Which vent location does that arm control? If you're not certain, the colour of the vacuum line going to the actuator would allow ID.

When I broke the peg off one of mine I drilled it and used M5 hardware to make a new pivot for the actuator arm to link to. I'll have see if I have any pics on my backup HDD.

Edit: Here's a crop off one of the pics from my heater core replacement. The hardware I used was actually an old headlamp adjuster screw (out of a MK2 VW Golf I think). I used a washer either side of the actuator arm just to pack it slightly, and an M5 nut either side of the plastic arm to lock it in place. I used the adjuster screw as it had a smooth surface where the arm would pivot, as a thread would have created more wear over time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HVAC lever repair.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	79306  

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 02-04-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-04-2021
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks for the reply Jonny.

Yeah mine is the same one as you repaired.

Is there supposed to be more plastic sticking out from the star section? This is the second time it's fallen out, but this time the hook part fell off as I was trying to put it back in.

Going to be a right job trying to get it back together. Not a lot of room down there.

Cheers
Joe
Old 02-04-2021
Full Flexer

Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I’m finding as years go by, that parts for TJ’s are getting harder to find. I sure things like HVacs and blower motors especially if you need it to be RHD specific and getting rare or unreasonably expensive. I’ve started a ‘future parts’ list I’ve been slowly acquiring because I don’t want to ever sell mine.
Old 03-04-2021
RustysRocker

Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

There should be a little extension with a securing tab on the end. It's not meant to come out so they break when removed. The only way to get the arm out without breaking the tab would be to remove the dash and see if the tab can be freed after splitting the case. Found a pic, see below.

I have one that keeps popping out. It's one of the two in the pic (whichever one operates the defrost door). I just have to reach underneath and push on it as I alter the vent slider to get the vacuum solenoid to shift and align the lever with the hole. I could probably do with glueing it in place but I've never got round to it.

One of mine actually snapped off the lever at the star. I have it screwed together, and think i might have used a little epoxy to help hold it. I snapped it when I absent-mindedly changed the vent positions with the fan on full. I heard the air pressure building and realised what I'd done, but couldn't change vents or fan speed before the lever snapped. Since then I've made sure the fan is on the slowest speed when changing vent position.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 03-04-2021 at 03:57 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply