Can I snatch off ARB bar? It's got a winch. - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-02-2015
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 108 Times in 77 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You make some very valid points here but i could not help but laugh at this part especially if you cut and paste it so its out of context....lol.

"can't drive them too far into the shit to become a difficult snatch, therfore only a light tug is required"

Sorry i have now officially dragged this thread into the gutter.

I think what most are trying to say here are that the points are very strong but as with anything if you load or apply force in a excessive manner anything can brake and become lethal.

Common sense is the KEY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza D View Post
Actually, that is correct.
Also, before the liability issue arose, ARB did refer to these points as recovery points.
I have never been snatched from the front on this bar, generally because where the need for recovery occurred, it has been more convenient to use the winch.
On the other hand, where Toyota drivers and the like push their ambitions past their capabilities, I have had the need to carry out a reverse snatch or two. Fortunatly, they can't drive them too far into the shit to become a difficult snatch, therfore only a light tug is required.
Anyhow, I use the, whatever you want to call them, points but simply apply a bit of decorum and common sense.
I think most Jeep owners have bigger issues at the other end, but I won't bring up these issues again. I have substantial recovery points at the rear of mine as this is where I am more likely to require some serious forces.

MY13 JKU Manual Billet Silver Rubicon,Leather,SAT/NAV,Towbar,AEV-Front-Bar
Old 04-02-2015
Established Member

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

I apply the Snatch method:

if it comes free first attempt then you went too hard.

keep it slow and the minimum amount of pulling required and keep it safe.
so far no issues with the tie downs on snatching, but really I am not getting snatched out of much. I also have a DBOR tow bar on mine which I assume is safer to snatch from now..
Old 04-02-2015
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom83 View Post
Common sense is the KEY!!!
We're DOOMED I tells ya... DOOMED !
Old 04-02-2015
Mals-JK
Visitor

mate of mine has the newer arb bar and the tow/recovery points are much beefier than my old arb bar i.e. thicker metal used on the recovery points now.
MM isn't yours an arb? didn't I see it get pulled out of shape being winched up a river bank while hooking just one of the recover points? (im sure it was your car? I could be wrong)
Old 04-02-2015
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Yes Mal it WAS indeed an ARB bar.... but it wasn't actually its fault. I had to space it forward to clear the tires and so the points were being loaded at an angle that ARB never designed it for. Fitted to a stock vehicle much less likely to happen.

However..... all that aside, the "recovery" points on an ARB bar are significantly below the chassis so there is a significant twisting force applied.

Have replace the ARB bar now with a custom version of the DBOR bar which is wide enough to cover the tires and flares and with angles that clear the rubber. The "recovery" points are directly in line with the chassis ends and so avoid the twisting issue.
Old 04-02-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

I guess a big problem with snatching, and rated recovery points, is that the load applied to either vehicle is indeterminate. How deep is it stuck? Are the diffs caught? What are the characteristics of the strap? What is the momentum of the recovery vehicle? This makes it very difficult for a company to say "our reco point are good for snatch recoveries to X rating". A static rating like "2 tonne" is fine for a stable load, like a winch, but snatching is a whole new ball game. The force on the bogged vehicle is proportional to the change in momentum of the recovery vehicle, which might be...what? Plus, its open to abuse. I've seen on more than one occasion people snatching with tow/winch straps! And as said earler, Australia has really become the country of "it somebody else's fault, lets sue 'em" so you can hardly blame companies for not rating there recovery points...

This is a brilliant XJ snatch recovery by the way...
Old 04-02-2015
RubiconSlammer

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post

However..... all that aside, the "recovery" points on an ARB bar are significantly below the chassis so there is a significant twisting force applied.

Have replace the ARB bar now with a custom version of the DBOR bar which is wide enough to cover the tires and flares and with angles that clear the rubber. The "recovery" points are directly in line with the chassis ends and so avoid the twisting issue.
This is one bit that concerns me, when I compare it to some of the aftermarket recovery mounts available that all bolt on to the chassis ends. EG Evo MFG parts, bars like the Rugged Ridge ones with points on the front face.
Are these mounts any better or worse?
2001 XJ TD 31s & 5"
Post New Thread  Reply