Behr brand thermostat for 2.7 CRD - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2020
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Behr brand thermostat for 2.7 CRD

I ordered a Gates TH35087G1 off eBay. What got delivered was a Behr 2.426.87. As best I can see, the Behr is the right one for the 2.7 CRD.

Does anybody know anything about the Behr brand - particularly versus Gates? It "looks" okay. The castings are clean. It even came with the temperature sender, which the Gates does not.

Is it worth the argument?
Old 06-01-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

I just found out for myself. The pictures are of the old one I just removed and the new Behr one. Note that the old one has the MB part number on it, the MB logo, the Behr logo and the same Behr part number as the new one.

This is an argument not worth having.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

It's worth noting that to fit it you need an M6 tap for the fuel line bracket.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

From memory the boit that's used there will cut its own thread if you don't have a tap.

Jason
Old 24-02-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Check out my Ride(s)

So... two years later and I am having some unusual things going on.

The normal running temperature had been around 85 deg C for ages. Recently it has crept up to 90-95 degrees. Occasionally it will get up to just below 100 degrees on a highway drive. I know this is not a problem in itself, but it is a notable change. More concerning since I am thinking of putting a small campervan behind it.

The next thing is the header tank is always full to the cap. I drained it down to the full mark over the weekend, and now it is back up to the cap again. I do occasionally get a sniff of coolant when driving, but never have found any missing or leaking. The only drips come from the aircon, which is normal.

I don't understand how the coolant level can go up. I am not losing any oils. Transmission and engine are both okay, so it's not any of the oil coolers dumping oil into the coolant.

1 - Should I be worried?
2 - Any suggestions what might be going on? Do I have a goblin sneaking into my garage and topping up the tank each night??
Old 24-02-2022
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I'd be a little bit worried about the header tank level increasing. I can't understand where it'd be coming from though, doesn't seem right to me if you're not seeing any engine oil or transmission fluid in the mix.

It may pay to check the fluid levels in the tranny and engine to be sure nothing weird is happening. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to do a combustion gas test of the cooling system to see if you have a head gasket issue. I seem to recall you had an overheating event a while back.

As for the temperature mine will sit at the 90c mark and will creep up when pushed hard on the beach or when towing a couple of tonnes on a hot day but it's mostly OK and in the normal range when this happens.

Hopefully you don't have someone with a bottle of coolant trying to send you crazy. Does the leader of the opposition like or hate the car?
Old 24-02-2022
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

There is another bottle down the front where the "over flow" goes, may be its the source of the extra coolant. Hope this is where its coming from and not oil cooler or tranny cooler. Its just possible the cap on the header tank could be causing the strange situation.

Last edited by 5oclock; 24-02-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply