2-door vs 4-door vs FJ Cruiser? - Page 7 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-11-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve F View Post
I know nothing about the FJ except I don't like the look.... its a Jeep forum so I'm surprised you've had as much help with the FJ as you have had

Anyway, my solution for when the 3 of us travel was this, it'll go anywhere.

Cheers
Steve
Yeah that's something I'm considering too. That or a little tinny. The bugger about that is that I'm in Tassie and trailers cost heaps to bring on the Spirit of Tasmania so that adds over $1000 to each interstate trip.
Old 13-11-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 542 Times in 304 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
Had a GQ, really liked it. Non turbo 4.2D. Very comfortable, would have looked for a good one again, but they are too big for my size requirements now.
I found GQs much better than Landcruisers of the same vintage.
Have to agree.
I had a Ford Maverick XL. It was horrible to have to jump into a LC after driving that.
Old 13-11-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts

I go up to the High Country from 3 days to a week and a half at a time around four or five times a year, normally with 3 to four vehicles one of which is an FJ, the others Patrols and my JKU Jeep. The FJ has all the fruit from ARB including 2" lift (not as radical as what you are proposing), lockers, bar work, roof rack etc. I'm quite impressed with the FJ's capability, it goes where the rest of us go usually with very little trouble. In 4WD terms it's probably not as good as the Jeep and is on par with the Patrols in a lot of cases. I've noticed that going up hills on steep technical sections the FJ has a bit more wheel spin and less suspension travel. It goes everywhere we go but it does it a bit harder on some sections.

With respect to storage capacities, when we go away it's usually just the boys, one person per vehicle. When I look in my mate's Patrol he has heaps of spare room, mine is usually loaded up to the window line and the guy in the FJ has his loaded to the roof. People say that the FJ has more room than the JKU but I can't see it unless you remove the rear seats completely. With the rear seats up the back is tiny. However I do like the FJ's loading ease with all the doors open.

I reckon you'd be happy with either vehicle, you've weighed up the pluses and the minus' and they're pretty much of a muchness. It's up to you to prioritise which ones are more important to you. I would, however, consider what you want to do with your aftermarket options. You talk of long arm kits etc, virtually turning the FJ into an off road weapon and then you want to tow a trailer which won't allow it to reach its full potential. If I was you I'd buy standard, as you intend to do, but don't do any mods until you've taken it out a few times.

P.S. The FJ has way better fuel capacity, if you want similar in a JKU you're looking at an additional $2K for a long range tank.
Old 13-11-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

I'm like Steve....I'd rather tow my junk than carry it....
Free 2nd hand box trailer, rebuild and converted to JK wheels....I think I've probably got $300 invested total......probably will get an axle flip at some stage, and I'm going to mount a rack and 2nd hand roof top tent.
Don't know how far I could drag it up something tough, but for camping trips its great.

Old 13-11-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
The vehicle will rarely be used with all 4 of us in it. Most commonly just two of us in the front or just me.
Jesus Chr*st

This is actually other people's time you are asking for here, not just random thoughts popping into your head.
Old 13-11-2016
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Neither the FJ or JK suits you.

I'll tell you where I saw it fall to bits.

It was that moment where you were contemplating a LS powered cruiser or patrol.

The Pentastar isn't a halo engine. It is just a run of the mill modern V6. The only reason it is considered nice is because the 3.8L was considered a bit of a turd (reality is that it wasn't really "bad" it is just out of place in the late 2000s, and in the 4 door particularly with an auto it was a bit slow). The FJ's 4.0L V6 is much the same, a characterless fuel sucking device designed for the american market. These engines provide propulsion but certainly not performance or economy.

Neither is fun. The JK is fun with a manual transmission purely because it is a bit clunky and the suspension a bit bouncy - regardless of engine.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 13-11-2016
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samft View Post
Jesus Chr*st

This is actually other people's time you are asking for here, not just random thoughts popping into your head.
What the hell? I was just responding to someone saying I need something bigger who thought that the vehicle is to be a family car. It was a response, not a random thought.
Post New Thread  Reply