High milage TH reliability? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KL Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KL
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujabe View Post
For us, the bottom line is, if you want a small-medium SUV that’s up for pretty much anything you can throw at it, there’s not a lot of options out there - most small/midsize SUV’s are virtually useless if you point them at a sand dune, or mud, or hitch anything more than a box trailer to them. The Trailhawk isn’t the best at any one thing, but for it’s size, I genuinely don’t think anything else comes close as an all-rounder.
A massive +1 to this. You could reasonably argue that there isn't really anything else directly comparable.

If the KL was a Toyota or a Mazda, I reckon it would sell like hot cakes. But because "it's a Jeep" and the styling is a bit unconventional (personally I love it), it will likely only ever occupy a niche in the market.
Old 16-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
Why is this out of warranty and not covered.?
When we bought ours the overall warranty was 3 years - and I'm pretty sure the Unlimited was only the first year (our battery died a few weeks outside that and wasn't covered) a few months later the bastards upped it to 5 years for everything on newly bought vehicles - as well as the "there and back" bizzo. Perhaps I should have chased them to be included in that. Also at the time it didn't even occur to me to look into adding any kind of extended or lifetime warranty and I feel really bloody stupid about that now.

This PTU failure occurred 2 weeks outside the 3 years... I do think that if they had tried to step away from any support over it I would have a fair bit of traction to successfully go them - and indeed even now if I was to fight them over the $600 it will cost us we might well be successful, but I'm hedging on maintaining goodwill with both FCA and the Dealer at this stage.

Unfortunately at the time I was under a lot of load and stress at work so wasn't devoting as much thought and attention to the purchase of the vehicle as I should have - i took care of it more or less as a side issue and as such it all went quickly and smoothly and entirely as planned and organised - but I didn't even think about extended warranties etc. I still don't know if FCA offer any such thing?.

Once this repair is done I'm intending to speak to the Dealer and FCA to establish exactly where we do stand with warranty coverage - even to whether we can buy more.
Old 16-08-2018
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailfirst View Post
When we bought ours the overall warranty was 3 years - and I'm pretty sure the Unlimited was only the first year (our battery died a few weeks outside that and wasn't covered) a few months later the bastards upped it to 5 years for everything on newly bought vehicles - as well as the "there and back" bizzo. Perhaps I should have chased them to be included in that. Also at the time it didn't even occur to me to look into adding any kind of extended or lifetime warranty and I feel really bloody stupid about that now.

This PTU failure occurred 2 weeks outside the 3 years... I do think that if they had tried to step away from any support over it I would have a fair bit of traction to successfully go them - and indeed even now if I was to fight them over the $600 it will cost us we might well be successful, but I'm hedging on maintaining goodwill with both FCA and the Dealer at this stage.

Unfortunately at the time I was under a lot of load and stress at work so wasn't devoting as much thought and attention to the purchase of the vehicle as I should have - i took care of it more or less as a side issue and as such it all went quickly and smoothly and entirely as planned and organised - but I didn't even think about extended warranties etc. I still don't know if FCA offer any such thing?.

Once this repair is done I'm intending to speak to the Dealer and FCA to establish exactly where we do stand with warranty coverage - even to whether we can buy more.
Your post says your TH is an OCT 15, so I thought it would be within 3 years.? (I'm guessing its oct 14.?)
We just had our uconnect replaced on our March 2015 Limited, all covered by FCA. Was just out of warranty when we first contacted them, but they were very helpful, even offered us a courtesy car, and replaced it for free ($6000 worth they said). Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised..

2015 KL Limited with all the goodies.
ex 06 KJ CRD Renegade, Lifted and GDE Tuned

Last edited by MadKaw; 16-08-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 16-08-2018

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailfirst View Post
but I'm hedging on maintaining goodwill with both FCA and the Dealer at this stage
Sorry, but your rear diff failed at 25,000 Kim’s - it should be FCA/Jeep doing the work to maintain the goodwill in the relationship, not you!

As a point of reference, the same component on my vehicle was replaced at around 50,000km for a far more minor issue, at FCA’s cost, and they threw in an extra year of warranty and a free service as a goodwill gesture.
Old 16-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

from what I can see the newer 5 year warranty is transferrable so I will be looking for one covered under that I'd say.

While we're on the long term topic, how is everyone finding their fuel economy over the long term?

Last edited by Edhead; 16-08-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 17-08-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found a great set of answers on general fuel econ here for anyone else looking. Shame this doesn’t split up to city/hwy milage but this is a great set of data on mpg scores in general:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/cherokee/2017
Old 17-08-2018
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 45 Times in 36 Posts

I don't have a Trailhawk so didn't comment initially in your thread, but I do have an MY15 KL Limited diesel which is 4 years old this November. It has been a great vehicle and I still love her.

Had one issue with her a few months ago - she threw a check engine light but not flashing and no other symptoms. Called the dealer the next day, drove her in, they checked her over, ordered a new TCM which was delivered overnight from the FCA warehouse and she was back on the road by lunchtime the next day. Overall downtime - about a day and a half. Dealership gave me a loan vehicle in the meantime and all covered by FCA's extended warranty (the new one that covers vehicles prior to the new 5 year warranty).

All the best with your purchase - keep us updated as to what you buy. When the time comes, I will certainly be replacing my current KL with another.