The search for a magic carpet (Lifted ride discussion) - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windex View Post
Damn Clarky that'd make for a bad day, did you lose pressure or were the lines still intact?
Stayed intact thankfully
Old 09-01-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Thanks for the extra replies guys, I've been digging around for information on the OME struts that many of us use as part of the CRDSTU package. Interesting to see that the higher valved OME part apparently has more travel with almost a inch extra extension and a tiny bit more compression. This made me wonder what the stock shocks are... low and behold the OME are apparently the same length, now this could just be some internet rubbish but I'll be interested to measure them up when I remove them.

STOCK REPLACEMENTS (for zero lift)
Bilstein (24-186797)
Open 483mm
Compressed 370mm
Old Man Emu specs from random Googling
  • N188S (had to get the measurements from a few different sites as OME didn't have it)
    Open 483mm
    Compressed 370mm

• N219S
    Open 516mm
    Compressed 357mm

Below are from the OME manual I found while searching, unfortunately it doesn't list any specs for the N188S shock (all its fields are blank).

The * doesnt have a footnote like it does for other sections in the document but is used to indicate that the first part listing has firmer valving.

Last edited by Windex; 07-05-2019 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Fixed grammar
Old 10-01-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

That's interesting Windex!
So I guess a front-bar and N219S with heavier springs is in order haha?

Anyone know of adjustable struts & shocks like RS9000XL which fit?
Old 11-01-2019
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLaugesen View Post
That's interesting Windex!
So I guess a front-bar and N219S with heavier springs is in order haha?

Anyone know of adjustable struts & shocks like RS9000XL which fit?
The strut packaging is the challenge for us as we can't just drop in appropriate shocks based on the eye-to-eye measurement. There is a Bilstein 5100 option that has a adjustable seat heights on the shock body appears but doesnt offer adjustable rates.
Bilstein B8 5100

I've been doing some reading up on Kings coilovers as they seem very well regarded, however looking at some of the measurements I am going to be hard pressed to package a 8 inch shock in there due to the strut fork / top plate setup we have. Its definitely not a cheap option but it is a option that would be interesting to try and take, would require fabrication at a level that would be new to me that's for sure!

The other thing I am mulling over is moving to a budget boost setup and trying to source some stock springs to drop the spring rate and give my shocks some extra down travel as the shocks will then be sitting closer to the middle of their range.
Old 15-01-2019
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Lovells struts have adjustable seat heights but no rate settings like the Bilsteins.
They measure the same as the N188S at the middle spring seat setting (10mm higher at max lift setting).
The piston shaft is 172mm on the Lovells but only 160mm on the N188S.
The piston top step compresses flush with the top of the strut body on the N188S but sits 12mm above on the Lovells.

Here is some spring charts I collected from the web

Have you considered ICON P/N 28000

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/Icon...x#.XD10nGcUmUl

https://www.carid.com/icon-vehicle-d...mpn-28000.html
Old 15-01-2019
Senior Newbie

Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

A bit of feedback re the front swaybar.

On Saturday I went with the Sydney Jeep Club on a run to Yalwal.

I tested removing the drivers side swaybar link only, and it worked like a charm.

No contact through it's arc of movement, and only took a little bit of time once on a flat surface to reinstall it before driving home.

Cheers
Ben
Old 16-01-2019
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Lovells struts have adjustable seat heights but no rate settings like the Bilsteins.
They measure the same as the N188S at the middle spring seat setting (10mm higher at max lift setting).
The piston shaft is 172mm on the Lovells but only 160mm on the N188S.
The piston top step compresses flush with the top of the strut body on the N188S but sits 12mm above on the Lovells.

Here is some spring charts I collected from the web

Have you considered ICON P/N 28000

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/Icon...x#.XD10nGcUmUl

https://www.carid.com/icon-vehicle-d...mpn-28000.html
Clarky... you legend! Thanks for that info on the spring rates for some reason I think I stumbled across that graph ages ago but wasn't able to find it over the past month or so.
I had not come across the Icon kit, none of the coilover kits are cheap but they do give you the ability to tailor the ride to your needs as we don't have a wide range of options like some other makes and models.

Just a little note on the weight as I think it was mentioned earlier that the CRD often has a heavier rate in suppliers catalogs.
  • CRD (OM642) Dry weight: 208kg
  • Hemi (G3) Dry weight: ~219kg (doesn't include accessories)

I suspect the Hemi ends up being a good 30-40kg heavier than the CRD so not sure if they manufacturers got that one right.
Post New Thread  Reply