Disappointed by no manual option - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JL Wrangler JT Gladiator Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Thumbs down Disappointed by no manual option

Hi all,

Is it only me or are others disappointed about no manual option for the JL?

I'm so disappointed in the JL bound for Australia I've canceled my interest altogether as the Rubicon has been rolled back for the Australian market to a point where it no longer interests me. I was so existed at the prospect of fitting a skinny set of 35's without needing to visit my engineer and just the thought of a new six speed got my heart thumping.

So, I convened myself I can do without the 35's and cop the shit safety rating but no manual? ...that's me out!
Old 06-02-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I've always owned manual 4WDs as I was brought up in a time when you wouldn't dream of owning an auto one. It just wasn't done as they weren't reliable when worked hard. Even my standard cars have been pretty much all manuals.

These days, autos are so good especially on sand or slow tracks, they are a much better option now. My next one will definitely be an auto.

Although it would be nice to have a choice, that's the way the world's going especially in the US, no one drives a manual there. It's not economically viable for manufacturers to offer manuals any more.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 06-02-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 184 Times in 117 Posts

I agree about the advancement in the auto trannies. My 3.6L JKU will intuitively hold a lower gear downhill with little brake force from the driver/me... Until I tap the gas.

By comparison, I have to have both my feet standing on the brakes in my XJ on a downhill run, while putting the T bar on 1-2, and my hand glued to the hand brake lever..... (on the Blacktop). Off road, there is 4 Lo but no gadgets to slow it even more...

Maybe manuals will be available by special order?

Last edited by eksjay; 08-02-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2019
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 37 Times in 31 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I was pretty anti-auto transmissions for a long while - ever since my 74 Beetle I started my car history with. While talking about it with a buddy while camping/wheeling he let me try his auto the next day and it was just breezy. Didn't need 3 feet when things got weird either. Not saying it is the same experience for everyone - I still enjoy a manual but when looking for my most recent used Jeep it was something I could go either way with and still be happy.
Old 07-02-2019
Established Member

Thanks for the input fellers, I do want a new Jeep but I also want to enjoy it.

I've driven plenty of manual & auto Jeeps in situations from extreme to daily driving, I don't remember thinking "I wish this was an auto". I do remember thinking, "if this was a manual I'd be having way more fun".

OK I like to hoon a little, I can do that occasionally when wheeling and not endanger others but have you ever tried hooning with an auto? It's nowhere near as much fun. It's an art driving a manual as no two people do it quite the same, most get it wrong and when you get it right its a feeling that's satisfying, fun! and this fun thing is cheaper to buy and maintain when you know how to use it.

So If I buy a new JL it's 3g added to the retail price for a pacifier between the skinny black pedal and the wheels that removes part of the fun.
Most serious wheeler's turn off all the control assist gadgetry and chose to rely on diff locks, bead locks and other manual techniques so I don't see the point of paying for all the gadgetry in the first place.

I saved up for a JL and I like to do things I know I shouldn't do but only if it's going to be enjoyable. Since I don't enjoy driving autos and don't need the tech, I'm out of the JL equation.

Best wishes to all who buy a JL, there is nothing quite like buying a new car and I recommend everyone does it at least once in there life...

...manual or auto, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Struth; 07-02-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-02-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struth View Post
"I wish this was an auto". I do remember thinking, "if this was a manual I'd be having way more fun".
I love my manuals, there is nothing better than the feel of actually "driving the vehicle".

But I have to be honest, I spend most of my off road time on sand and I often think "I wish this was an auto"

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 07-02-2019
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I spend most of my off road time on sand and I often think "I wish this was an auto"
I've heard wheeler's say that but I don't do sand, I do snow mud and rocks.

With autos you must build up energy in the torque converter before anything happens, the more resistance, the more energy is stored before it's transferred into the drive train.
Standing still on a steep incline covered in snow winding up the engine to get the torque converter to engage is exactly what you don't wan't, your going to get a somewhat uncontrollable burst of energy.
Sure you can use the brake and throttle simultaneously to mitigate the burst affect but metaphorically speaking it's a bandage when you need a splint.

In a manual you just let out the clutch slowly and leave the skinny one alone, you get a controlled energy release that is constant.

Slow technical offloading in a manual can be a scarier ride if you get it wrong, in an auto you can get it wrong all day and it's not such a hart stopper. Again, It's why I like it, it's too easy with a pacifier and I find myself unchallenged.