Summit Mud Hog Tyres - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-09-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Default Summit Mud Hog Tyres

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about theses tyres? (Summit Mud Hogs)

Im thinking of buying a set of 285/70/17s for my JK. Theres a place selling them for $270 each fitted.

Iv done a google search but theres not alot of info/reviews out on them.

Anyone here, or does anyone konw someone that have them, what do they think of them?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUMMIT3109.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	56726  
Old 05-09-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

G'day Sorin,

My cousin and I recently bought a set of Summit Mud Hogs, I reckon they are pretty good, not very noisy on the road and haven't had any issues with them off road either. Number one factor for me was the price, bloody cheap as!! I was quoted $290 from one joint, ended up getting a set of (5) Procomp Series 98 Steelies with the Summit Mud Hogs for $2,200 fitted and balanced. Spoke to a few blokes on the American forums and they were pretty happy with the tyres and wheels.

Hope this helps mate
Old 05-09-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

seems like a decent looking tyre, keen to see how these perform...
Old 05-09-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

probably worth the price...
but i doubt they wouldn't handle like any of your more pop brans onroad also obviously gonna have a fairly weak side wall...

my mate had a similar tyre called desert hawk and he pops one every 2 months .... but he only paid 180 each fitted....

moral of the story you get what you pay for...
Me personally, i'd love some dick cepek MT seem to have great reviews....
Sponsored Posts
Old 05-09-2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
my mate had a similar tyre called desert hawk and he pops one every 2 months
Does your mate work at a nail factory?

Quote:
Anyone here, or does anyone konw someone that have them, what do they think of them?
Hi Sorin, I have them, they are a 3 Ply Tyre, they are durable, and they are as puncture resistant as some of the more expensive tyres, they do not suffer from road noise, and I have not popped one yet.
Old 05-09-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Maxxis Bighorns used to be cheap as chips once upon a time as well, now they are a popular brand and IMHO are ridiculously overpriced!!

The company from Melbourne, Citic auto bought them over to see how they would go as they heard good reviews from the states. Anyway, they have proved to be pretty popular sale wise for them so far.

These tyres come with a 3 ply sidewall and are know to be pretty durable from those that have used them according to other forums. Blokes I spoke to from JK freaks enjoyed the tyres and found them to perform well off road. As previously stated I own a set of these tyres and go wheeling regularly, mainly in the Otways in Victoria and these things have loved the steep clay inclines of the Otways and so far I cant fault them.

I did a lot of research on these tyres before buying them and I heard a lot of good reports on them, seemed to be very durable from what I read and was told by the manufacturer in the States. Aesthetically the sidewall on these tyres are very similar to Goodyear Kevlar MTR's, the outside lugs are similar to Mick Thompson MTZ's and inner lugs are similar to Procomp MT's. All three very popular choices for tyres and proven performers.

Just remember, basic economics tells us that price is based on demand, just because your paying an arm and a leg for something, doesn't mean it is the greatest/most durable product out there. Look at the prices for rubber in the states, as consumers we are getting shafted hard by the tyre companies, but I digress.

Anyway, IMO. If you want a cheap tyre that will do the job then give them a crack. If you want to play the safe and overpriced card, just follow the flock mate. It's your hard earned, so buy what you want with it
Old 05-09-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13bt1000 View Post
Does your mate work at a nail factory?
hahaha noo although he is around as use full as tits on a bull when it comes to setting tyre pressures.....
which would definately have an impact!

Also i doubt these tyres have kevlar reinforced sidewalls.. i doubt it very much... but open to correction
Old 06-09-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, now I'm about 80% sure I'll buy them.

All I have to do now is wait for the tax money to come in
Old 06-09-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Tyres here are double what they are in the states, BFG KM2 for instance sells for about $230 a corner over there.

So yeah, we are being done over.

Flame Red MY08 SWB CRD
AEV front bumper + Warn 9.5
Custom Rear Bumper
BFG KM2 on Rubicon Moabs
Post New Thread  Reply