The search for a magic carpet (Lifted ride discussion) - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-11-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 60 Times in 41 Posts
Default The search for a magic carpet (Lifted ride discussion)

Hi Guys,

I've now been running my CRDSTU lift for 12 months on my WH Hemi, its done its job keeps the car lifted and the wheels on the ground and importantly none of it has broken. I recently did a trip with a few cars (76 series LandCruiser and a GU Patrol) and while the Jeep performed awesomely I did find the ride wasn't quite where I want it to be, the front suspension unloading violently over large sandy corrugations, in addition to feeling a bit like everything was a little firm in the front end creating a general rough ride. I did disconnect the front swaybar to try and soften it up some more and it did help a bit but wasn't a night and day difference. I am going to continue to knock more pressure out of my tyres to see what effect that has but I did run ~15PSI for large chunks of the tracks. I've ridden in a mates GU on similar tracks a few times and definitely felt like its suspension was working much better allowing the wheels to move around under it.
I'm coming from a 4 inch lifted XJ which had good shocks front and rear and drop boxes for the front arms and the rear shackles which had a surprisingly good ride for what it was.

Current setup
  • CRD 2-2.5 inch lift with Old Man Emu shocks and MD springs
  • JBA upper A-arms
  • BFG MT 245/75/R17 on stock rims

Options
  1. Go up a tyre size 255/80 or ~33 inch
  2. Coilovers for the front
  3. Go down a rim size for more sidewall
  4. Go with beadlocks for super low pressures

Any other suggestions? Its not like I was pre-runnering it through the tracks it was trying to find that happy medium without feeling like I was in a paint mixer.
Or am I always going to be chasing the dragon on this and I should pursue a WG build to get that sort of ride?

Old 16-11-2018
Grand Obsession

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 957 Times in 633 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Which struts are they? The N188S or the N219S?

The N219S is usually paired with a HD setup and the N188S with a lighter front end.

I have the N188S in my STU H/D setup and on corrugations it is shit but no complaints off road low range stuff or highway use.

I am about to swap out the complete front struts to Lovells so will post up when done.
Old 16-11-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 186 Times in 127 Posts

Jeep looks good in white, only white one I've seen. I'm surprised it didn't ride as good as the patrol. Drove a patrol around in the bush for a few hours once looking at job site access & thought it rode real good, but with manual 3litre hand grenade under the bonnet it was very lacking in power. Later in the day I picked up the boss & another bloke to head home & the lack of power was even more noticeable. The three of us probably weighed 330 kgs, I don't know how they tow trailers or caravans with them.
Old 17-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 113 Times in 77 Posts

I put a OME std 2 inch lift kit on my 2010 WH. Front springs way to hard/harsh ride,the front strut shocks unload with a bang/thump over bumps, potholes etc terrible on corrugations...Very poor rebound control. I should have got longer std springs made paired with better shocks.
Sponsored Posts
Old 17-11-2018
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjm View Post
I put a OME std 2 inch lift kit on my 2010 WH. Front springs way to hard/harsh ride,the front strut shocks unload with a bang/thump over bumps, potholes etc terrible on corrugations...Very poor rebound control. I should have got longer std springs made paired with better shocks.
Yeah that unload was pretty damn unpleasant the first time I got it and I stopped to have a good look for the cause.
Old 19-11-2018
Full Flexer

Well after a fair bit of reading and internet trawling I haven't found any silver bullet but a few things have surfaced that are handy to note.

Found that ARB have the rates in their catalogue for OME items, can't find the Dobinsons rates but will see if I can track down.

Front spring rates
Stock: 440lbs
OME MD: 530lbs
OME HD: 630lbs
CRDSTU spring rate is currently unknown, asked them if they can share.

Rear spring rates
Stock: 190lbs
OME MD: 240lbs
OME HD: 280lbs

Coilovers
It is possible to fit dual rate springs on a 8 inch coilovers shock which is about the size used for the front of a WH.

Unless I dig up something that shows that the CRD coils have a really high rate I'll suspect it's a combination of the OME shocks and CRDSTU springs that contribute to it and a coilovers setup is going to get me the closest to what I'm after but knowing my current rates will help me know of I am chasing the dragon or of I could actually get a mesureable improvement from changing.

Last edited by Windex; 30-12-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Posts
Old 19-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 124 Times in 91 Posts

Don't have any good advice, but please keep us updated on any improvement!

I have pretty-much the same setup with slightly bigger tyres, and also find it a bit harsh sometimes, particular the rebound as you say. Adjustable struts would be nice.

The unibody will always transmit more shock than a (good) body-on-chassis though, so I wonder how much better it can get.
Old 19-11-2018
Full Flexer

Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts

I think the fact that you now have IFS is a really big contributor to the harshness you are experiencing. This is my experience with all IFS vehicles offroad after having live axle vehicles.

I love the WH/XH's and always wanted to get one as my main offroad and camping rig, coming from all live axle 4wds previously I went offroading in my brother's XH with 2" lift (King springs and Bilstein 5100s) and 32" tyres which is a weapon offroad for what it is (and drives really nicely onroad, prob the best 4wd I've driven onroad), I just couldn't believe how uncomfortable the ride was on rough terrain, corrugations were nice, but actual 4 low stuff was way to bouncy and too much rocking around and wheel lifting for my liking. My mate has a KK that he offroads as well, same story, and this has been my experience for other IFS vehicles as well from other makes. I know you can build them (IFS vehicles in general) to be excellent offroaders with great wheel travel (for big $$), and obviously there are a lot of people using them as most 4wd are IFS these days, so they can obviously do the job but the tradeoff is that in the rough stuff they are not as smooth and forgiving.

If you go too soft on the spring rates then you won't have decent load carrying ability (if you go bullbar and winch) later and risk bottom out the front end more (which leads to a harsh ride as well).

I think taller sidewall tyres will help a lot when aired down. And possibly with beadlocks as well and really low pressures, but you will need to have only the best tyres to be happy and last long at very low pressures all the time.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 19-11-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 19-11-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

i know the OME CRD springs are different, as when i ordered my set up i was asked if i had the CRD or Petrol, they said the CRD engines are heavier and the springs have different part numbers.