Installing Reverse Camera - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2007
asp_777
Visitor

Default Installing Reverse Camera

I thought I’d share my experience with the installation of a reverse camera. The first thing to determine was - can I hide this from the wife (failed) second was where to mount the camera and screen and finally where to source the parts.

With limited space available, I placed the screen on the centre console in front of the ashtray. Its sturdy and easily viewed. The camera was placed high above the tailgate. This seemed to have worked out well so far but it may change once I find an alterative to place the screen at a more eye level. As with most of us we wish to minimise any hole making or drilling so the camera was installed using some angle metal and cable ties. Being lite, this worked out well. The hardest thing was to run the cable under the carpet all the way back. I did notice there is an ample corridor that allows cable to run on the driver side along the edge of the door sills. I have inverter power cables and data cables neatly tucked along this path

I would rather place the camera in the tail gate – but this will require some guts before I start drilling through metal..

The next thing was to source the parts. I got all the parts from ebay (mainly Hong Kong) and this has worked out cheap and easy. The parts were delivered within 5 days. The trick I found was to do your homework and to be patient. Once you find what your after, find an auction that ends late at night or early morning. At this time there are less people watching as most sincere bidders tend to wait till the end to start bidding - IMO.
I got the camera for $43 and the screen was $188 delivered. I actually got a 7” colour Touch Screen (Lilliput clone) which allows me to connect to a computer. This helps with using a GPS as a 7” tft screen is a hell of a lot better that viewing a GPS’s 2” , screen especially 4Wding. A normal screen can do the job though. This compared favourably as the locally supplied was $69-129 for the camera and the exact screen was $499!!!
The screen plugs straight into the left hand side cigarette lighter plug which is only powered when the ignition comes on. The camera will automatically come on once I select reverse with no user interaction.

To install the camera, remove the right rear tailgate, find the earth and the wire that powers the reverse light. In my case that was the black and purple respectively. WARNING – CHECK USING A TEST LIGHT OR MULTIMETER - as your wiring may be different. Feed the camera wires through the opening and cable tie & tape it all up etc etc.

I can’t guarantee this is the best, safest or whatever but it worked out well for me.

That’s it really
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	18692   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	18693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0344.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	18694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0341.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	18695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	18696  

Old 01-03-2007
Yeah I bought another one

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice set up mate, just an Idea, would the camera cope with being outside? Maybe above the numberplate?
OR With some mods could you put it inside the clear lens of the reverseing light?
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 01-03-2007
asp_777
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo
Nice set up mate, just an Idea, would the camera cope with being outside? Maybe above the numberplate?
OR With some mods could you put it inside the clear lens of the reverseing light?
I forgot to mention - The camera is a wide angle version and is waterproof (That's what they said). It's metal and seems sealed with several rings to allow you to mount at differing angles.
I thought the same -placing it in the lense but it works better if it's centred on the vehicle.
the other alternative is in bumper bar - but that will require full removal as it's all filled with foam stuff and drilling a hole hmmmm. Still an option, at least it has room. You need at least 3 inches clearance
Old 01-03-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a thought ... by having the reverse light and the camera drain power through the same cable at the same time, you are running into danger to exceed your max amp rating of the cable.

I would connect the reverse light to the trigger of a relay and then bring back a seperate power cable into the relay and then on to the camera.
Old 01-03-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doesn't the position of the camera not still give you a dead spot to the rear bumper bar?
Old 01-03-2007
asp_777
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnotari
Just a thought ... by having the reverse light and the camera drain power through the same cable at the same time, you are running into danger to exceed your max amp rating of the cable.

I would connect the reverse light to the trigger of a relay and then bring back a seperate power cable into the relay and then on to the camera.
I thought of that but i doubt the camera draws much power. I've had it on for over an hour while making adjustments and no problem. Surely the fuse would blow if that were the case. Would it not?? I will check it out further thanks
Old 01-03-2007
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asp_777
I thought of that but i doubt the camera draws much power. I've had it on for over an hour while making adjustments and no problem. Surely the fuse would blow if that were the case. Would it not?? I will check it out further thanks
I can't find anything in the fuse chart about the reversing lights. Checked also http://www.wjjeeps.com/fuses.htm.

What is the amp draw on the camera?
Post New Thread  Reply