What did you do to your Grand today (ZJ/WJ)? - Page 245 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

I finally had time to fix the window regulator:

I botched the end of one cable on my original regulator when I installed the 3d printed block that broke, so I had to buy a regulator from the wreckers and it went downhill:

1. The wreckers sold me an aftermarket one, with a smaller motor, so I set out to swap motors
2. The aftermarket drum had 8 splines, the oem one had way more and it was larger in diameter
3. Larger drum meant the cable sheaths needed to be shorter, cutting them with a dremel was tedious with the wire still in the sheath.

Great success, I finally have a front right (passenger in Romania) working window again. The aluminum blocks fit nicely and they should outlast the rest of the regulator

Last edited by Adrian D; 24-04-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Old 24-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Also went to get a road-worthy inspection and it failed due to 2 bad tie-rod ends. Both were Moog from the US and both had under 30.000km, almost all on-road.

Unless I find some quality tie-rod ends, I will switch to one-ton tie-rod ends and hopefully they live longer.
Old 25-04-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

What are one-ton tie-tod ends?

FWIW I have had a good run out of Mevotech joints. I have also had bad runs out of Moog and Doorman.
Old 25-04-2023
CrawlerStar

Liked 73 Times in 65 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I also had a lot of "bad luck" with tie rod ends of all makes. Same thing replaced and only 10,000km got heeps of slop. So I decided to cut a few old ones open and see what gives---inside most of them under the bottom of the ball with the tapered end sits a nylon cup and under that sits a heavy spring. What was happening was a small bit of wear as the new TRE beds in and the spring no longer pushes hard enough on the cup and lots of slop. So as an experiment I took the boot off the TRE and beat the crap out of the flat welsh plug dodad on the back of it with a ball pein hammer---put the TRE into a piece of pipe as an anvil first. The first TRE I "fixed" like this has done at least 50,000km and still perfect. Obviously I did this for "educational purposes" only and dont recommend anyone else copy this. Just a few weeks back I fixed another TRE, but this one had done about 60,000km before I "fixed" it. Sadly one style of cheap TRE just has a total plastic insert and I dont think it would work on this type. I think the TRE that failed that pissed me of the most was a MOOG job ,it got sloppy very quickly, but has been great now for at least 50,000km.
PS , I allways take the TRE off before the treatment.
Old 26-04-2023
Full Flexer

Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
https://trailforged.com/product/wj-hd-steering-kit/
Old 03-05-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post

FWIW I have had a good run out of Mevotech joints. I have also had bad runs out of Moog and Doorman.
Tie-rod ends off large US pick-ups.

I still need to take apart one of the Moog joints that failed.
Old 02-06-2023
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well, there goes my Saturday!

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
Post New Thread  Reply