Cooper STT Pro Tyres - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > PORTAL > REVIEWS & NEW PRODUCTS
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-04-2016

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cheers.

Might give 275/70 17s a go.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app
Old 29-04-2016
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretto88 View Post
Cheers.

Might give 275/70 17s a go.

I've got 265/70 on my 3.8L Manual. Apart from making the speedo a little more accurate there is no noticable difference in gearing at all.

The reason I went this way and not larger was because I often tow a camper and the last thing I needed was to loose any more power.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 01-05-2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cheers good to know. I test fitted a 285 on my stock rim this weekend and didn't see any signs of rubbing on full lock. Didn't drive around though

Old 16-10-2016
AJOR Gold

Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default UPDATE: 10,000km and 2 rotations into it

ITs been a while since I updated this, but thought to provide some more info on how these tyres are going. Over 10,000km on them now (closer to 12k) and have recently done the second rotation to bring the new spare in.

Treads are wearing quite well considering the treatment they've had, the tyre installers commented on how evenly they are wearing and that there is an expected amount of 'feathering' occurring to every second lug - which is something to do with measuring the evenness of the wear on each side of the tyre and helps them find flat spots - they were running their hands over them with their eyes closed I thought I needed to put on some Barry White and leave the shed while this was happening.

Chips and nicks as expected for rocks, gravel, and everything in between. They have been bounced over 100km of the Finke Desert Race track, pushed through untouched bush, climbed 40% gradients, side bitten rock walls, speeds over 140kph and operated at pressures from 15-35psi.

I've not found a way to stop them from gripping as yet - they have bitten into every surface I can push them into. I tried to get bogged in a dry river bed and had to chain the Jeep to a tree to get it to dig down to the belly. After detaching the chain they just dug their way back out to the surface. Didn't even need to drop pressures.

The 4wdTV guys came to Alice a few weeks back and I was able to lead them out on a local track for a couple of hours. All vehicles but one were on the same tyres and everyone made it through every obstacle I could throw at them. That Iveco Daily thing is a weapon, and I'd love to have one in the stable.

The next big test will come in the next week - a s^&* ton of sand driving. We are going out in a big group to drive through Boggy Hole, Running Waters and out via Ernest Giles Road. Highway for 100km, sand and rock for 6-7 hours, dirt for 80km, then highway for 100km and home.

I still haven't figured out uploading video yet, but when I do you'll be the first to see them.
Old 17-10-2016
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

Sounds very impressive. What mud tyres have you owned in the past to compare them to?
Old 17-10-2016
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
Sounds very impressive. What mud tyres have you owned in the past to compare them to?
I've only had experience with a couple of mud tyres - KM2 and Hankook MT. I'm more an AT user previously - BFG KO, Cooper AT, GY Silent Armor but when buying these they were comparable in price to the AT offerings in the same size so I thought 'why not'.

Quieter than other MTs on the road (still a hum, but less), less lateral movement on steering (I'm guessing this is due to the stiffer sidewall on the LT, E rated STT Pro) less large scale chipping from crawling in the rocks (but this could be solely due to having a car with traction aids/diff lockers compared to open diffs in the past) and the compound is still quite soft to the touch after a full range of seasons/temps since March.

I had the wheel off today to test a stud pattern for fitting and happened to have a set of bathroom scales nearby - 41.5kg on Rubicon alloy plus tyre (compared to a 35" MT-MT2 on steel 16" 8 stud f250 rim at 46.5kg) - heavy..
Old 29-03-2017
AJOR Gold

Check out my Ride(s)
Default 20,000km and 3rd rotation

Time for an update on the STT Pro. I've had to do some real searching to find a decent example of the wear on these treads over the past 10,000km and its kind of noticeable to me, but not much when I look back on the older pictures.

The spare got its first rotation in last time (put on RR), and has now been moved to the front (FR) and shows very little wear and tear.

The rubber in the compound overall feels like it has hardened somewhat, but its done some serious km in very high heat, and every surface I can find - shale, rocks, sand, water, mud, bitumen, gravel.

They had a decent run in the sand and are formidable at lower pressures, looking at them at 10psi, they don't really bag out laterally, but the tread length is great for really soft sand dune and boggy terrain.

MUD - still performing as expected, haven't been able to stop them at any pressure really. They just keep spitting out mud and rocks the more they turn. The tread is getting a little worn in places so they don't throw out the mud as readily as they did when new. I have noticed I'm throwing rocks up onto the paintwork down each side, so there are a few more chips recently - I think this is because I don't have any side steps, just the rubicon rails, so more mud goes up the sides.

ROCK/GRAVEL/SAND - excellent on all different pressures, the side biters have had a workout on a couple of occasions, and they perform well when the going gets tough. Minimal cutting to the outer plys on the tread face, hard to see any on the tread wall at all. No torn lugs. As mentioned, sand performance is exceptional considering they are an aggressive tread.

ROAD - Have no doubt, there is noise from these muddies, but nothing that cannot be blocked out with air conditioning or a low radio. When driving with the roof off and windows open the noise is a little more noticeable than new, but very tolerable. Sipings are a little secondhand generally, but still plenty of depth. Dry and wet weather grip is as good as new, and comparable to the GY Silent Armour.

The pic show the closeup of the tread pattern on the spare - this is the worst of the tyres, and shows the most wear - not much really. Very impressed with these tyre so far.
Post New Thread  Reply