Mass Air Flow issue - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-03-2016
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Default Mass Air Flow issue

Have a Nov 13, MY2014 GC Limited CRD that intermittently throws up MAF air flow fault and low turbo boost fault and going into limp mode.

This has happened twice on the way home from car yard after purchase and once for the Jeep dealership where it was towed to.

It happens randomly for example Jeep drove it home the first night 20k's and all good. Next day they drove it 8 k's and it happened.

New MAF sensor was put into the car and test driven 100k's without issue. So the old one was put back in and driven 100 k's, yep without issue.

Jeep dont know what is causing it so they have contacted Chrysler to get their feedback on any similar issues.

Has anyone else seen or heard of such a thing and if so a possible fix. The Jeep mechanics have driven the car further than I have and I have owned it for 5 days.

Many thanks in advance
Old 24-03-2016
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

I haven't heard of this before, it may be worth doing a search on jeepgarage, there are a lot more owners over there and more problem reports, but then again, not so many diesels.
Old 24-03-2016
Established Member

thanks Benn0

I joined and had a quik poke around over there and found an 08 CRD with a MAF issue so not sure if we are comparing apples with apples as mine is the update. It got technical real quik so I guess im in the hands of the Chrysler gods.

Old 24-03-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

KJ Rider,
I have just recently replaced the turbo hose from the top of the radiator to back area of the engine the pipe was split causing the electronic throttle alarm, which was the turbo under boost fault. I found two splits in the silicone hose in the front of the pipe one near the air conditioning pipe valve and the other one was more visible and closer to the engine. I had the fault appear intermittently over a few months but it came to a head last week towing my caravan home from Batemans bay. Fault appeared on nearly every hill on the way home very frustrating. My local dealer checked the computer the wiring and all was ok, after I asked if there was anything else they could look at, their on the ball apprentice found the pipe damage . Could not find an aftermarket silicone pipe to replace the original so had to go for genuine part and it only comes in one piece even though it is three sections not cheap either close enough to $700. Happy to have spent money now problem fixed .
Sparky 60
Old 25-03-2016
Established Member

thanks sparky60

I will ask the question when they return to work after Easter.

Where do you get your car Jeep looked at living in Latrobe Valley.
Old 25-03-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I get it serviced most of the time at Morwell Chrysler jeep near mid valley . With regards to the turbo pipe a quick visual check and see if it is oily if it is clean it and check for a split .
Sparky 60
Old 29-03-2016
Established Member

bit of an update,

car is still at Jeep and being tested as per Chrysler recommendations. The PO299 is the code in question and so far they have tested the MAF, checked all turbo related hosed for cracks/leaks, test driven it over 400 k's, did the dpf exhaust burn thing and checked other sensors and harness for moisture ingress and stuff. Thats about all I could write down as they were reading out stuff. There was another code related thing that didnt have numbers but not sure what that was PE.....

They were still at it late this arvo so they will ring me in the morning and let me know what is happening. Something tells me I wont be driving this thing anytime soon as we head into our second week which is a real pain as I was supposed to pick up our new to us caravan this Friday.

At least that is giving us something to look forward to