JK rubicon unlimited - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default JK rubicon unlimited

Hi guys !

watch this a little bit but am about to step into the "jeep thing"

looking at the rubicon with 2 inch suspension lift, 33 inch tyres, winch, snorkel, etc and the towpak.

Now I want to tow a camper trailer about 1000-1200kgs when loaded i know the diesel would be more suited but i am an avid mud basher and REALLY want the lowrange gears and difflocks and higher diff ratio's and bigger dana axels (i know i dont want much).

The dealerships around melbourne do not have a rubicon petrol AUTO (for the wife to drive when ive had too many) with tow pack to see how it tows on the open road.

Big decision as i do a bit of touring - i dont mind the fuel consumption one little bit but i do mind the up/down of gear changing when driving on the open roads - i am used to locking out of overdrive for the hills, etc to stop this.

what feedback can you give - anyone in melbourne with a JK rubicon and petrol auto - would love to shout you a beer and see what it tows like

thanks in advance ....

Haydn
Old 07-07-2009
I LOVE MY JK WRANGLER

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

If you can find an 07 Sports Auto try it for your testing. For towing and on-road comparison there's little if any differnece between that and the Rubicon. It's low range that the differences come into play.

Note: It has to be the 07 Auto. They were the only odel that came out with the 4.11 diffs. 08 & 09 autos have the same diffs as the manual.
Old 08-07-2009
Pollie Waffle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auscruiser View Post
If you can find an 07 Sports Auto try it for your testing. For towing and on-road comparison there's little if any differnece between that and the Rubicon. It's low range that the differences come into play.

Note: It has to be the 07 Auto. They were the only odel that came out with the 4.11 diffs. 08 & 09 autos have the same diffs as the manual.
I must say, I was out with Auscruiser the other weekend. We were leading a small group up a moderate hill out a scenic rim 4x4 park and managed to do the whole thing in 2WD Hi range (Corolla style!)

I was honestly amazed as every other truck following was in 4Lo

I know its different in Hi range as opposed to Lo but still, sounded and felt like we were in Lo, but we were in hi

Last edited by Simsy85; 08-07-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the Rubicon (but it is a manual) and tow my Trak Shak camper behind it. I also have the weight of a winch, long range tank, and wife + 2 kiddies.

I does tow really well - struggles only a little up steep hills but apart from that I am very happy with it. The Rubicon auto's and manuals have the same diff ratio so don't think there would be too much difference between them.

Old 08-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Rubicons do have lower diff ratios than the sports too, not sure about the diesel sports.
A rubicon Auto may be a rarity I suspect, just be wary that due to the economic crisis there could be delays getting one sent from the USA, tha stopped making Wranglers for a few months, but are making them again now.
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 08-07-2009
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Jkohn, what is your add on setup it looks very tidy in the photo.

Charlie.
Old 08-07-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrisbane View Post
Hey Jkohn, what is your add on setup it looks very tidy in the photo.

Charlie.
Don't want to hijack the thread too much but as follows:

- ARB 2" lift (HD front springs and med rear springs)
- AEV front bar, tow hooks and skid plate
- Warn 9.5ti winch with synthetic rope
- IPF 900XS spotties
- Cooper STT 285/70/17's on stock rims
- Enhanced Rubi rails
- Custom UHF aerial mount
- GME TX 3420 UHF
- Safari snorkel
- Seatglovers car seat covers - JK'd
- Long Ranger aux fuel tank
- Exhaust Plus free flow muffler
- Polyairs in the rear springs
- Woods (US) tailgate shock kit
- Mopar slush mats, fuel door guard, rear tail light guards, tow bar
- ARB underbonnet compressor
- Prodigy electric brake controller
- JK and Aussie JK decals
- Tyredog TPMS

And thanks to Mt. Barker 4x4 for fitting almost all of the above and Hazzard Engineering for the enhanced rubi rails and custom UHF mount!!

Last edited by JKohn; 08-07-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply