Why is it hard to Start when Cold - Page 10 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

"If you cannot backprobe the cavity, it is acceptable practice to pierce the wire with the pin".......I might have to do that awg
pulled the airbox out and the cover on the ecu the wires go into a right angle plastic turn at the back of the plugs put it in the too hard basket for today...
found this Gem last night https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1108210
So I pulled the PDC apart today was easy nothing really to report all pretty clean looking of all the wires going into the ASD Section the Green/Orange stripe ..Fat Wire and the Small Dark Blue/Yellow stripe (ECU Earth)were loose? But when the Relay is plugged in they are tightish......if you look at the pics in the above post on the naxja forums the wires have the female plugs connected to them they only clip into the Black Lego which is covered by the Yellow Lego Its not a loose connection just loose in the Black Lego I will have another look at the loose ones and check the wire end before I put the PDC back together.... Sounds Rude but somehow I am going to Back Probe it!..........
BTW.........There was no sign of a Immobilizer being hacked into the PDC ........So the Secret Switch and the Wires to No Where are still a Mystery?
I guess its up to the Back Probe ....to see what's next?
BeerOClock
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 09-03-2019
Rock Munki

Liked 351 Times in 223 Posts

obd 1 has a 60 pin connector going to the pcm
'95 sport,4.6 stroker, 4.5" lift, 32"s, 4:10's, 8.25&SYE, taurus fan
Old 09-03-2019
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

It might be worth also checking the fuel pump ground at the PCM for a pulse, and you could pull the PCM connector and check continuity from the ASD and fuel pump relays to the sockets in the PDC. Both wires go straight from PDC to PCM with no connectors inbetween.

If you have no continuity in the wires you can follow the loom and use a pin in the wires to check for continuity along the length of the wire in case there is break/bad spot in the wiring.
Old 10-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

Continuity...........yes I haven't checked that .. good point Jonny Jeep
Nothing today I had to bottle 56 tallies and prepare to make 56 more...........must keep production up!
see what tomorrow brings
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 11-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

checked the continuity of the dark blue with yellow stripe wire running from 85 on the asd to pin c3 on the pcm checked at 20 ohm and my reading was 0.37?....
how high should the number be ?
I got a bit of wire and put a cut in it and tested it while bending it to see where 0.37 would be this was a much thicker wire but showed me there would be a decent break in the any wire so I guess I just have to trace it and find the break in the wire......
I couldn't be that Lucky that it has been in front of me the whole time.........
Let me explain ... where the wiring harness runs across the firewall it goes into a T section where wires run down to the sensors and injectors it is damaged I blelve it was damaged when the head came off or went back on about the same time the hard to start when cold stuff started.....? hmmmnn
Now it was one of the first things I looked at there are 2 splices in there to do with the LPG I assume no damage I poked around and could not see any damage but didn't know what colour wire to look for.....now I do and can start my search at the halfway point I will spear a pin into the wire and test PDC to middle then middle to PCM....
The Hunt is on!
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 11-03-2019
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

.37 ohms is nothing, and would indicate good continuity. If you touch the test leads of the meter together they may be at about that reading anyway.

It's certainly possible that a wire got damaged doing the head. I've watched some video's most of which were XJ and ZJ engines and seen how tight it is getting the head off. It came as a pleasant surprise how easy my TJ head was to remove and refit last month.

Probably worth stripping the cable shroud off and getting as good a look as you can at all of the wires in that area in case there is more than one wire damaged.

Good work so far.
Old 12-03-2019
AJOR Bronze

.37 ohms is nothing, and would indicate good continuity........................ I thought that being a small number but as a multimeter novice I had to ask and test some broken wire I have to go do a few things over the in-laws house so I might give it a rest for a day or 2 until I get my Zen back on again ... everywhere seems to be a dead end
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Post New Thread  Reply