WG 2.7CRD - Oil in Coolant Bottle?? - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2019
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 273 Times in 220 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

How did this end?
Old 16-03-2019
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
How did this end?
It hasn't as yet. The socket/driver combo I got could not fit into the space to get the uppermost bolt on the passenger side undone. That spanner I ordered took way longer than quoted to arrive. I was then so busy with other things including a course I was on that the car has sat there in the meantime. Only today have I popped the bonnet to look at it again. Will make sure I know what I'm doing before I re-start the process. I'll keep you posted.

Brad.
Old 17-04-2019
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Hey all. Well after many other priorities finally being put to bed I've been able to get back to this lovely project. I got the old cooler out on Monday and put the new one in yesterday followed by replacing the battery tray etc. This is certainly up there with the most frustrating jobs I've ever done on a car.

That all said I'm about to add the CT14 for flushing the cooling system out. The Chemtech site does not have any information about using this particular product as a cooling system flush. Going by their directions I'm going to make it in the middle of the suggested range at 1 part per 15 of water. I've read about extended flush periods so thinking it would be good to leave this in for a day or so with normal driving before flushing, then repeating another one or two times before going back to normal coolant. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

And if anyone has a better method to drain the system rather than just removing the lower radiator hose I'm keen to hear it. Doing this job on the concrete as I don't have an accessible bit of grass to do this over and it's messy!
Old 17-04-2019
RustysRocker

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 123 Times in 94 Posts

CT14 looks to be degreaser rather than a flushing agent so I don't know how well it would work as to remove any sludge in the system.

I don't know about the diesel rad, but the petrol rads have drain taps at the bottom of the rad. Leaving radiator cap on and opening tap will pull fluid out of overflow bottle, when that's empty removing the rad cap might speed up the rest of the drain.

Last edited by Jonny Jeep; 17-04-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 17-04-2019
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Jonny, so far I've just been removing the bottom hose and is doing the job. Also moved the car onto the footpath for doing this so the mess is not quite so much of a problem.

The CT14 is being used to assist getting rid of the oil buildup in the cooling system, so not a normal system flush and is what is recommended to use in these cases. I've done two full flushes so far and definitely the amount of oil in each is reducing so seems to be working. I think it will be very hard to remove all the oil but will see how I go.
Old 17-04-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I flushed mine about 3 times then did it with water another 3 times then filled with coolant. No problems.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
Old 18-04-2019
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Got the third lot of CT14 in it now though this time I added less and will run it for a day or so then flush that out. The oil is back to more of a slick on top of the water rather than a full sludge so it's def' doing the trick. I'll likely run another couple of CT14 mixes through it before I go to just water for a few flushes.

Thanks for the input guys.