Servicing the 3.7 - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

These were expensive. I got Uridium spark plugs. 26 bucks for one but they last 100000 kms. They were also one of the more toughest jobs done due to the awkward position of the ones drivers side. The ones on the left were easier.

Step one: Unclip the clips of spark plug housing(yellow) and Unscrew the housing(Blue) by unbolting it(red) with a size ten socket. Be carefull not to drop the nut...... they're tough little suckers to find!!

Drivers side you'll need to remove the air intake cover by undoing the hose clamp at both end see pic three and four. there is a sensor plugged into it. Unclip it if you like, I just lay the intake out of the way.

You'll need an extension piece and a spark plug socket to remove the spark plugs. 6 of them on the V6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	50888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	50889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	50890  

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 02-11-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2011
Rated the trail

Ill finish posting and editing my posts tomorrow. Clean them up a little and post some more pics. Things to finish posting on are, diff oils, waterpump and serpentine belt lastly idler pully and a few other bits here and there...
Old 02-11-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well done! very helpful mate!
Old 03-11-2011
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

Once you have it all on here I will edit it a little and put it in the Sticky group at the front of the KJ Forum.
Old 03-11-2011
Established Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks, this is a great help to those of us newer people.

Im up to 96,000km ....checked around, in brisbane Westside 4x4 want about half of what a jeep dealership wants, and other mechanics are all around the 3/4 mark of what the jeep dealership wants.
might be time to buy some new tools and follow your thread.
Old 03-11-2011
Rated the trail

Just got home and will take some more pics and do some more posting tonight....
Old 03-11-2011
Rated the trail

Default Water pump and coolant

This was a BIG job, and so $%#@ frustrating!!! But well worth it especially seeing how bad the rubber seal was on the old one (see the pics attached.

Now there is a scheduled maintenance page in your owners hand book, but i do all my servicing anyways so I figured it was time for a major.

Now depending on the model of your jeep kj you may or may not have the extra fan attached to your water pump. From what I've read and seen some do and some dont. This is a pain in the bum to get off especially seeings you need a specialized tool (spanner wrench 6958 and adapter tools 459 something or other). Basically you need this tool to attach to the water pump to hold it still to losen the fan attached to it with a size 24 spanner, it works much the same as taking the blade of an angle grinder. So I wondered around a tool shop looking for something similar as I either have to order it in from the states and wait or wait for the dealer to get one in stock..... both options were expensive, I found a $24 fix it tool hahaha.

Attached are pics of the old water pump note how worn the rubber seal was and where the leak stains were... Just surprises me how resilliant the little kj is.... I also attached pictures of the tool I bought and where it attaches. NOTE: look at the plastic rotation part of the internal aspect of the pump.... IT"S PLASTIC!!! The new aftermarket one I got is cast iron and seems really strong!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079[1].jpg
Views:	300
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	50907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080[1].jpg
Views:	260
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	50908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078[1].jpg
Views:	273
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	50909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0081[1].jpg
Views:	262
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	50910  

Last edited by Jeep'ers; 03-11-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply