Warning - Absestos Contamination - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The safest way to see Wittenoom is with Google Earth street view.
Old 06-05-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well it appears there were people still living there in 2008 by Google Earth Streetview
It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand............
Old 08-05-2009
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wonder what vehicle he used, you wouldn't want to buy it.
It would have to be tainted with blue asbestos.
Old 06-07-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks JimmyB, I have never intended to go there.

Many years ago, in another life, I worked alongside a man who had mesothelioma - cancer of the lungs caused by exposure to asbestos.
It is a horrible way to die and jokes don't make some correspondents to this website very endearing, please have them deleted.
Old 05-03-2012
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

well I guess im in trouble I live in tom price and have been going to wittenoom for the last 31 years , always wait til the jeep has stopped before getting out ,to let the dust settle.
your right there is fibres everywhere even the old airstip that lang hangcock had bitumised is made out of the fibres and the police dont go there either because of that threat.
it is a beautiful gorge and you can drive right down to where the old settlement was .
I guess if you want to see it then stay in your car although the road is getting rougher as it is no longer maintained by the guy who use to do it from wittenoom as he has passed away.
there is still a few people living there ,a mate and i went down the gorge not too long ago and found two mango trees chockablock full so we filled some bags took them home and had a mango fiest as dumb and dumber rippened them all up at the same time 50 mangos so have gone off them for a while.
its a choice you need to make for yourself whether to go there or not , there are lots of other places in the pilbara to see even if you take a trip out to milli milli just a good trip to nowhere .

Last edited by FRANK.A; 05-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

went to wittenoom gorge two days ago with some mates for a swim they had over 300 mls of rain there about a week ago.
the road down to the gorge now is very rough and most of the crosings are washed away got down as far as the last big pool so we stopped there and swam a good day water was crystal clear and nice it was about 38 that day.
the commander went through all with no problems we had come from tom price where i live via rio tinto gorge came home via auski roadhouse .
a good trip in all the ground was still wet in places but intersting, only a few people left in wittnoom even the gemstone shop was looking a bit sad i saw the owners car at another house there so i guess she may have shut down the shop.
Old 02-02-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

When I'm old and grey(er) and on one of several big trips I'll have no problems in visiting.

Something's gonna get me anyway.

My old man worked with asbestos for many years and has zero health issues at age 78. And he smoked like a train for about 30 years......

It's not good that people have died from exposure to asbestos, but as I said, something's gonna catch up with you sooner or later.
Post New Thread  Reply