SO, the JK is...... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Default SO, the JK is......

..... probably the most devisive model ever made by Jeep.

Rather than almost every JK thread turning into a slanging match, how about some proper discussion on this model?

And I'll start it on here rather than the JK section, to open it up to all.

DONT Bother if you are going to post crap, or start bitching, or bagging.

I do a lot of reading of other threads and posts where i dont make a comment (yeah business is slow sometimes) and from that reading I'll make the following observations. These are my thoughts, and not aimed at anyone (although if you are a bit paranoid you may think so) and not meant to offend.

OK......

JK's more than any other Jeep before have attracted new owners to the brand. No doubt the 4 door option had a lot to do with that. The increase in marketing by the parent co. has also attracted alot of first time 4wd owners to JK's. Like most vehicle/4wd marketing nowadays it is broad based and maybe gives the wrong impression to the general buying public. ie expect car like handling and comforts and unbeatable off road performance. We should all know that isnt possible. Really.

JK's appear to have had some unique issues not seen before on this scale. Diff failures, poor build quality, death wobbles, potential (and actual) fires, you name it, it all seems to be there.

Maybe its because of a combination of these two issues, (new owners and build issues) we have seen an increase in threads about JK's and their 'issues'.

On top of this there seems to be an overblown amount of pride in the vehicle, and utter dismay when it doesnt perform as people think/expect it should.

And as a result, new JK owners new to this forum question the JK's build and raise problems with the car/the dealer/the warranty and immediately get flamed.

However, they also dont seem to help themselves, by raising trivial issues that really shouldnt be issues..... ie the thread about a kit to move the indicator stalk to the other side of the column is a good example.

It seems apparent that:

Some JK owners love their JK
Some JK owners hate it with a passion
Some (quite vocally) wish they never purchased a JK
Some will never purchase anything else
Some non JK owners admire them
Many non JK owners hate them, and what they appear to have done to the brand
Some dealers love JK's and cant get enough
Some dealers (WA apparently from the bulk of the threads on here) hate them and as soon as they are sold do their best to distance themselves from the JK

So whats the solution?

I've been on AJOR for a number of years now (but nowhere near the longest standing member dont get me wrong) and I've NEVER seem AJOR like it is now.

It seems there's a real JK vs non JK owners thing going on. And a lot of it is driven by newbie first time posters who own JK's, and longer standing members getting sick of it.

Comments?

BTW, i've plagarised and bastardised a comment made by Flexy on another thread as my sig line..... to me anyway it seems appropriate and isnt meant to be inflammatory. But maybe, just maybe, there's a hint of truth in it.

Cheers

Richo
Old 05-03-2010
Original Mexican Mafia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Should have named this thread Richo's Rant.
Nothing that hasn't been said before.
This insights divisiveness, Unhealthy and pointless.
Old 05-03-2010
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

******** K-Rudd.............................................. ..........................................
RICHO for P.M
Old 05-03-2010
SwampDigger

Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EXTREME JEEP View Post
Should have named this thread Richo's Rant.
Nothing that hasn't been said before.
This insights divisiveness, Unhealthy and pointless.
Maybe.... maybe not.
You've been on here a long time EJ, ever seen this much slanging going on before?
If its not the JK, whats causing it then?
Just trying to open things up a little, and maybe resolve a few issues. Aint that healthy?
If you dont think so, fair enuf then.

But what about this thread:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=93678

or this:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=93956

or this:
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=80223

What about the 'death wobbling POS' thread..... did it get deleted?

Or any one of redgp's threads.....??

Last edited by Richo; 05-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-03-2010
No Winching

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know your not gunna believe me but i actually like JKs (SWB), but if ya buy a cheapish 4wd youve got to expect a lesser standard of quality, if you want a quality 4wd pay double and buy a Nissan or Toyota, they are as Flexy said glorified tractors.................Harden Up Ladys
Old 05-03-2010
TerraFlexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with a lot of what you have said and when I first started reading the forum. I used this forum primarily to see what when how and why; whilst slowly modifying the JK. This was a big step for me since I have previously owned 4 Toyo’s. After I joined the forum I spent almost a month without a post I have found the information that can be gained here extremely informative.

My son now owns a TJ, simply because of the wheeling we have done; he enjoyed it so much he felt he had no choice but to buy a jeep.

It’s a great truck and does want I need it to do very well.

However; these opinions have been voiced many times and unfortunately, people being people will never change.

The forum if used for its intended purpose is to inform others on how to do things and to arrange events that the jeep community can enjoy.

There have been a lot of wingers on the forum lately, not just JK owners who all need to take a chill pill, sit back and enjoy the view...

Just to be sure... the people here having problems with dealers are in most cases problems in themselves. (you only get out of life, what you put in). I've been in sales for 20 years and the only people that complain are the ones that don't get what they want (like children who have never grown up) and will stomp and cry when the answer's NO, the customer is not always right.

When it comes to the TJ... JK thing... some kids here need to remember where the chill pills are kept.

Enough of the rant, I’m off to fit my winch, which arrived today and will hopefully get to use it before I go to Bali next week, enjoy week end people

"Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!"
2 Door Red Rock Renegade.

Last edited by Gravel; 05-03-2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2010
Rock Munki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think most people are having a laugh when they hang shit on jk's. Although I do notice that alot of jk drivers do exaggerate how capable there rigs are in standard form, when the truth is, most standard 4wd's are pretty useless on the harder trails. Also because the jk is still new, jk drivers are affraid of body damage and beating up there rig. Give it another 5 years and you will start to see some junker jk's willing to get some rock rash and have a red hot go..
Post New Thread  Reply