SO, the JK is...... - Page 14 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have owned everything from an MB to a JK and if i was a smart person I would have a Nissan or a Toyota, but hey I love my jeeps.
All models have their problems, but touch wood the only thing that has gone wrong with my JK is a seat fold down cable, fixed by Jeep.
It blows me away how people just go off on tangent. This was about JK's and their good and bad points not about people having a sook and getting picked on. People just need to harden up.
And yes Richo you boys do scare me.
As someone else said we are on the first Gen of the jk and like all new models their will be problems.
Am I happy with the JK.... Yes
would I buy another one.... Yes
Is Alan Mc the true King.... Yes
Is Wooders the man....not in my opinion
I purchased the JK knowing it wasnt a perfect, but alot of people didnt.
People have to remember If you take a 4x4 offroad things are going to break and wear out, and I am not just talking about jeep.
cheers MC

Last edited by MC4X4; 09-03-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Last edited by Richo; 09-03-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: over it.
Old 09-03-2010
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Richo is so deep in the closet he is finding Christmas presents!
Old 09-03-2010
Established Member

Default Bs

which model JK do i need to buy to read the JK section, will any one do
Old 11-03-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

I don’t have a JK so am not familiar with what the issues some owners are having with their vehicles and after reading this thread am none the wiser. Don’t know if the problems are mechanical, electrical, dealer or otherwise

The JK has obviously been designed to attract more buyers by making it available in a four door version and the basic two door version is bigger and has more car like manners than the TJ. It also has a big plastic front bumper, a plastic and sloped front grill that looks, well plastic, and the front fenders have been replaced by plastic flares and of course a new V6 power plant has been added.

These are changes that I personally don’t like being a bit of a traditionalist. I like a straight six, metal fenders and grill, short and compact, and a 4x4 that feels like a 4x4 (but not as harsh as an old series one Landy) and don’t mind the noise when doing 100Ks with the soft top on in a windy day.
However the general masses find the above JK attributes appealing and like the idea of a car like 4x4.

The downside is that as these car like attributes attract more buyers, it can and probably does attract a lot of useless whingers who wouldn’t know how to unscrew a radiator cap. A more traditional 4x4 would attract the type of person who would easily fix that leaky sump plug and get over the fact that the indicator stalk is on the opposite side to what they are used to.

Me, I like my TJ as with a couple of basic mods have made it a very capable vehicle better than the Landcruiser I had for 12 years. It’s not for everyone because it isn’t car like but I bought it just to cart myself and maybe one passenger to get to those difficult out of the way spots, but I am sure the JK is very capable with a few mods.

Last edited by bonza; 11-03-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-03-2010
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bonza i hope this post survives without deletion, but here goes. the short wheelbase jk is quite a woepon in it's standard guise, mods just improve it. the four door is also a good vehicle (early sales showed 80% were 4 door). but it suffers from an extremely long wheel base which means that withou a lift kit it's off road capabilities are diminished, not a great problem. the issues in the main have been with bad assembly practices at the factory and the inclusion of some sub-standard parts. this also can be over come, but when it is combined with a lack of factory support and lack of dealership support in some areas, to the extent that chrysler through it's dealers even denied the existance of common problems, life turned in to a nightmare for some owners. i hope this explanation survives without deletion. i think it's a fairly factual account, not "jeep bashing". and from there the problems started when overzealous jeep owners objected to totally frustrated owners venting their spleen on this site. that would be a pretty basic explanation of what has been going on. the jeep in itself is a great vehicle when it works, i have never heard anyone argue against that, the rants have always been about the inabilty to get problems in a new vehicle, which should never have been there, fixed by the dealerships. and the problems have been both mechanical and electrical. but if they can be sorted out then the vehicles areexcellent. hope that gives you some insight into what it's all been about. i hope this post is seen as rational and not "jeep bashing " or creating some other problem among owners or members of the forum.
Old 11-03-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 95 Times in 77 Posts

davidd
I dont see why your thread should be deleted, your explanation was good and I would not take it as Jeep bashing. if there is a problem imagined or not, people should feel free to state the problem in order for it to be resolved with the assistance from other members
I know for sure I have learnt a lot from this forum and others about my Jeep and I like to think I have contributed in some way to helping others resolve issues

I agree with you about the dealers. you wouldnt believe the bull$hit I went through in buying mine, a cash paying customer who doesnt stuff around, but thats another story and it was a few years ago. also learnt that warranties are virtually worthless. my experience was a small leak from the transfer case speedo gear encoder. booked in to have it fixed, took a day off and turned up but they didnt have an 'o' ring, another day and time off finally fixed and treated like a moron in the process. next day still leaking. easier to fix myself and has never leaked since. needless to say I have never been to the dealers since, even to buy parts like an air filter. now buy online
Post New Thread  Reply