ram cummins in tank lift pump for diesel kj's - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2018

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Default ram cummins in tank lift pump for diesel kj's

id parts has them with the wiring harness for aprox $640 aud. is that my best option or does someone know where i can get it any cheaper?
Old 10-03-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_pato View Post
id parts has them with the wiring harness for aprox $640 aud. is that my best option or does someone know where i can get it any cheaper?

It's id parts or sasquatch as far as I know, and the prices seem to be about the same.
Old 12-03-2018
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

I seem to remember something about air getting in around the heater in the filter head, the bakealite gets brittle apparantly, could be something to look at.

My old 2003 2.5lt CRD has the original filter head on it , my newer 2006 2.8lt CRD seems to have had that replaced with an aftermarket one, look all plastic, not sure of the brand.

I'm actually about to swap out the entrire fuel tank, I think the early models had a better lift pump in there, also, the fuel gauge does seem to work correctly in the 2006, so I thought easy to just swap out the entire thing, all the wiring looks the same.

I was concerned about air getting in there doing the swap, but will just have to see how it goes.

Arrr
cmohr

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 20-03-2018
No Winching

Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts

Replaced my fuel tank on the weekend, complete . I was told some time ago, that the earlier models had a lift pump in there , but I'm really not sure, the top of the fuel tank looked very different to the newer one, the connection on the new tank had only two pips contacts in there, so definitively no lift pump, the connection on the old tank, did, however have 4 pins contacts in there , so maybe??? I did take out the sender unit from the newer tank, and no pump, I didn't want to split the seal on the old tank, just incase, so no actual proof.

I used the old connections from feed and return pipes to connect the tank to the lines, as the positions were different on the two tanks, and the new pipes were much longer and I didn't want to force them, or put stress on them, they are stiff plastic, so, technically , possibble fracture points.

Connected the whole thing up, poured some diesel in there, got a level reading (that I wasn't from the tank that was inthere) put another 20 lts in and saw movement again on the fuel gauge so all good there. I thought I would have to be bleeding the system, given that I had disconnected it all, and introduced air into the lines. I started the KJ and let it idle for a while , gave it a few revs, all ok. I then drove home, and around for a while, stopping the engine a few times, and restarting no problems, all good.

I did notice that the wiring in the vehicle itself, did have 4 pin connectors in it on the vehicle side of the harness, I have been doing a fair bit of wiring stuff lately and noticed on quite a few occassions that althought the plugs on the vehilces wiring harness had multiple spots they only had a few pins in there, so I'm thinking there was power there, I was moving pretty quickly at that stage as it was getting dark and I had to finish, otherwise I would have checked for voltage.

Been, doing more investigations on LOST, quite a few people have put in the intank lift pump to cure the issue, also, quite a few people have also suggested to put in an external fuel pump, inline just at the top of the tank, they are pretty cheap, require just 12vt power from the ignition, and run from a pressure switch inside them, so no need to drop the tank and take everything apart, no need for new wiring harness. and a lot cheaper in theory.

cmohr

Tales.......of Interest!!!
Old 21-03-2018
Established Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I have an external Airtek mounted inside the chassis rail. Cheap easy and no more starting problems
Old 31-10-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

According to my build sheet, I didn't have an in-tank pump - normal for the late 2005 CRD, so I bought one (and the wiring harness) from Sasquatch. My reasoning was that everyone says its a good thing and anyway the Bosch in the engine compartment has been working hard for the last 13 years, so would benefit from the assistance.

Had it fitted when I put it in to my friendly Jeep expert to also have a Frontrunner roof rack fitted (that's a bit of an epic tale for another day). He fitted the pump and the new harness, but found that there was already a lift pump (identical to the one from Sasquatch) in the tank! He gave the old one back to me saying that it seemed ok as far as he could tell, but there is a difference. With the new pump and harness, when you turn on the key, you can hear the pump working for about 20 seconds before you start the engine. This never happened with the previous pump and harness, and Steve said that it was quite possible that in fact it never worked - possibly the harness wasn't connected - who knows?

It seems better with the new pump fitted and I've now been running it for a month. Can't say there's any improvement in economy, but it does seem to start more easily than before in chilly weather, and seems (can't be sure) that the acceleration is a bit better - but that could be placebo effect!
Post New Thread  Reply