Grinding Sound after driving on freeway - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-09-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default Grinding Sound after driving on freeway

Hi,
I have noticed something strange with my TJ. After coming to a stop after being on the freeway, there is a grinding sound/feeling coming from the front wheels/diff. It's more noticeable when turning right after freeway driving.
What makes this odd, is that I drive on normal suburban streets on the way to work in the morning due to low traffic - and I don't feel/hear any trype of grinding. It's only after driving at continuous speed for a while that seems to bring it on.
It seems to go away after the car has been left for a while, which leads me to believe that there is a build up oh heat somewhere.
When driving short distances around home the car travels fine.
I have recently changed the discs and rotors, and my mechanic checked the wheel bearings and all uni joints - there doesn't seem to be any excessive wear. The diff oil was changed only last year.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 26-09-2018
AJOR Gold

Liked 307 Times in 169 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I was going to suggest wheel bearings - is the rim hot to touch after the noise happens?
Most common way to check wheel bearings is jack up the front, grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and if you can rock it, the bearings are shot.
Old 26-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
I was going to suggest wheel bearings - is the rim hot to touch after the noise happens?
Most common way to check wheel bearings is jack up the front, grab the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and if you can rock it, the bearings are shot.
That was the first thing I checked - very little play when doing the wheel bearing check. I have not checked the rim temp though - I'll check it this arvo
Old 07-11-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Sometimes the calipers produce a grinding sound if they are worn already.
Old 01-07-2019

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Worn axel ujoint might be my bet

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019
Established Member

Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts

Check the front uni joint on the front tail shaft. Mine packed it in, no noise at speed but just as you slowed a crunching knocking noise. At speed the rotating force keeps it hard into the worn bearing cup and when you slow it just flops around under the weight of the tail shaft. Something else to check, hope you can sort it out. good luck.
Old 02-07-2019
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 991 Times in 632 Posts

My WJ made these same nasty noises a while back, changed pads, both unit bearings, then both driveshaft CV's, as when I took it out the thing was silent. Ended up being the pinion bearing in the diff. Easy fix, just a pain to diagnose the sucker

Sent from my SM-G930F using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app