What did you do to your XJ today? 1M Views - Page 2653 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2020
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

I had Windscreens O'Bwian come around and replace the windscreen on my XJ. My old one looked like it had been sandblasted.. Then it got a big chip, then a crack.. It was done free through insurance.

For a few months after it was fitted, it used to drive me nuts with whistling noises and leaks. I finally had enough and got a tube of black silicone and ran a small bead around it again. Bloke hadn't done the best job, but its all good now and 10 years later its still like new. Not sure what type he put back in there though.

Mine is a pre-update.
Old 01-03-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Yep, the current aftermarket windscreen is from an unnamed, well known company. So much for their lifetime warranty. I have taken it back twice to tell them it leaks, and they said the leak was coming from some place else because they pressure tested it [?] and it was fine. They said they only kept their invoices for 8 years, and mine was on an old database [they were not going to honour their warranty because they could not access a copy of their own invoice, after I showed them the original]

I didn't come down in the last shower.

They never thought the Jeep would last a lifetime [apparently to them and their records, that is 8 years]. Guess I won't be using them again for replacement glass because their warranty is worth less than the piece of paper they gave me.

Like so many other parts, I am done with aftermarket, and I am looking for OEM - even if it is more expensive. Not sure I can source a new one, apart from one in decent condition that may have been wrecked. Have asked a stealer to take a look for me.

Looking forward to my new windscreen, without the extras - wind noise, occasional leaks, and pretend warranty. My JKU doesn't leak!

Last edited by eksjay; 10-03-2020 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Its critical (on the the pre-update anyway, that a new seal is obtained and fitted. ( I got a NOS from Ebay for $65). This seal fits wraps tightly around both sides of the screen.

The seal then sticks to the poly or butyl that the windscreen fitter used, which was an entire big tube.

I cut the screen out use a thick wire wound steel guitar string, sawing from inside and out, using leather gloves, it was a tiring job.

I then stripped away the poly, which lifted the paint. I addressed all removed paint, as there was some surface corossion showing on the bare metal

Failure to address any of these measures will eventually lead to rust in the pinchweld. You can chuck your vehicle away if this gets bad enough.

I live right next to the Ocean, and have done pinchweld repairs before.

My fitter charged $100 cash to fit the new screen in the driveway, he has 30yrs experience. I did all the prep work..takes a couple of days, as the paint has to dry
Old 05-03-2020

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Changed out the fuel filter head today. Had some starting issues and figured out that air was getting into the system somewhere.

I knew the old filter head was a bit knackered. Last time i changed the fuel filter the plunger barely seemed to work. I also broke the plastic screw a bit and it has since been held together by super glue haha.

Manged to source a Racor 230 from a local guy here in Christchurch. Guy really seemed to know his stuff. Only charged me $50 NZD. It isn't brand new but it just about looks like it.

After changing it, and the hoses, the Jeep is starting good as new.

Old 18-03-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

Finally replaced my after market windscreen (installed in 1999) with a new after market windscreen. The 1999 edition was a botched job done by a supposedly reputable windscreen provider. I should have changed it sooner. May have saved my hearing.

What forced the change was a recent Craic from a rock thrown by a passing vehicle. Thank you!

The lesser known but well respected local glazier, sanded back the mild corrosion and primed the vehicle frame before the new glass went on. As good as new.

I did check the price of the original Jeep glass with a stealer. It was $A1050 (just for the glass and rubber) but with a 6 week wait for the boat arrival. Of course I went after market again at almost 1/3 the price. The wind noise is gone, the corrosion is gone, and no more Craic.

It is like the car rolled off the dealer lot for the first time. The glaziers were just looking at it wishing they owned one too.

There's Only One Jeep.

Last edited by eksjay; 18-03-2020 at 10:33 PM.
Old 24-03-2020
EL CAPITANO DESTRUCTO

Liked 1,911 Times in 804 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Currie ends to replace the absolute garbage rough country use

New inner guards

Old 24-03-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

New inner guards

Will that help with the HEMI transplant RB?
Post New Thread  Reply