LED number plate light placement on trailer - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-05-2017
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts
Default Making my Treg ready to pass a rego inspection

Hey wanting some ideas on how and where to mount an LED number plate light on the back of my Treg? I had a light on the side but it was all but useless. The wire used to flex and break. I need something that will pass a rego inspection as I am wanting to register it in Tas in the next 3-4 months.

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 26-05-2017 at 05:48 PM. Reason: New info
Old 26-05-2017
MonsterMoose

If I shift the number plate above the rail on the tail gate it will most likely obscure the bottom edge of the number plate and cover the state wording. Any idea if that would be a problem with rego? Or do I need cut the rail off and have someone weld it down lower?
Old 26-05-2017
MonsterMoose

Another question, it's missing a compliance plate. How can I get around that? In SA they did a dodgy at the transport dept and used the model numbers that are on the tail gate. I know years ago I registered a trailer in the ACT and they did their own stamps using a number and letter punch as it had no compliance plate. Although having said that in the ACT it was the Transport Dept who did the pre-rego inspection. I don't think there are any Gov Rego inspection places here in Northern Tas anymore. So not sure where I can take it.
Old 26-05-2017
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

Do a search on Google. Up in QLD for trailers under 750kg you do your own roadworthy. There is a form you fill out stating the measurements and whether you believe the trailer is in a roadworthy condition. If there are no serial numbers on it you grab a welder and put your own numbers on. You get the impression they don't really care what the trailer looks like. I suspect your regs will be different. That pic showing the placement of the number plate light looks fine to me.
Old 26-05-2017
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,577 Times in 4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnick View Post
Do a search on Google. Up in QLD for trailers under 750kg you do your own roadworthy. There is a form you fill out stating the measurements and whether you believe the trailer is in a roadworthy condition. If there are no serial numbers on it you grab a welder and put your own numbers on. You get the impression they don't really care what the trailer looks like. I suspect your regs will be different. That pic showing the placement of the number plate light looks fine to me.
AG, its a similar situation in Vic. When I brought my popup from SA to vic, all I did was to go into local VicRoads, you know where I am, fill out the paperwork, pay some $$ & they provided a plate. I never had to take the popup in or have any inspection. There was a ID number on their records from SA that I have never found. I suspect that its not on it any where.
It is surprizing if you have to do a roadworthy or have a trailer inspected. My popup is reg as a box trailer.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Old 26-05-2017
MonsterMoose

Thanks Billnick. Reckon I am gonna slip the tail gate off and get the rail lowered so I can mount the number plate without any chance of it being covered what so ever. I reckon I might be able to fix an LED on the side just off the tailgate so I don't break the wires again. I will try do that tomorrow. Trying to find info on what I need as far as a compliance plate goes. Google is not telling me the actual year where trailers made before that date are fine without a compliance plate. Best I can work out is it was sometime in the 80s. My SA papers say it was manufactured in 87. But like I said before the number is a dodgy one that I don't reckon the inspection station will pass. According to the Tas Vehicle standards page it appears that I need a compliance plate before the inspection station can pass it.
On Google I seem to keep coming up with info saying that the manufacturer needs to fit the compliance plate. That will be a nightmare AFAIK Treg are not made in Tas. None of the Gov Regs seem to say the year it became compulsory.
Amount of money I'm putting into to make it compliant by replacing the brakes and wheels is looking like I may have been better off towing it back to SA, flogging it and buying a new one made in Tas....

Might be easier to just rego it as SA and if I get pulled over explain that I brought he trailer back less than three months ago......
Old 26-05-2017
MonsterMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
AG, its a similar situation in Vic. When I brought my popup from SA to vic, all I did was to go into local VicRoads, you know where I am, fill out the paperwork, pay some $$ & they provided a plate. I never had to take the popup in or have any inspection. There was a ID number on their records from SA that I have never found. I suspect that its not on it any where.
It is surprizing if you have to do a roadworthy or have a trailer inspected. My popup is reg as a box trailer.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.
I have to get it inspected, an approved mech can do it. I might have to go into Service Tas next week and see what they say. I stuffed up 10 years ago when I went to Service SA. The trailer did not have a comp plate. They had a number on record but would not give it to me. But when I told them the number on the tailgate which is some sort of Treg model number the boss at Service Tas said to his staff "just put bit through as the number I gave.... Essentially they changed the what I believe was a compliance number.

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 26-05-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply