SCX10 Honcho Build with 4 dor JK New Bright Shell - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Radio Controlled JEEP Action
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-01-2010
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Default SCX10 Honcho Build with 4 dor JK New Bright Shell

Slowly gathering parts for this little beauty. I bought 2 JK Shells from Canada on ebay, nice. SCX10 Honcho's are on their way from the States at the moment. The Honcho has a 12.5" Wheelbase as opposed to the shorter SCX10 which is around 9.5". The JK 4dr Shell requires an approx 13" Scale Wheelbase.
She's going to have LED Headlights and indicators, a working scale Warn Winch, full interior and maybe a lightbar across the top.
With the 2nd body I'd like to do a proper scale Military J8

111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD

Last edited by CRDSTU; 23-01-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 23-01-2010
Just Build it

As of now, removed all headlight, tail lights, screen, mirrors, spare ect.

111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 01-02-2010
Head Honcho

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,177 Times in 710 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks like Im going the other way, ie building chassis and diffs first then body 2nd.

What you using for shocks? The stock SCX10 shocks are only 90mm eye to eye and I rekon you need longer to get some decent twist.

www.ausjeepoffroad.com
Old 06-02-2010
Just Build it

The stock Honcho kit comes with everything and looks like its got some decent twist albeit stock stocks, but in saying that I'm after a more realistic scale look to the way the truck drives.

Much like this guys JK.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 08-04-2010
Just Build it

Been a while since I last updated so here goes.

Honcho was delayed big time from the States due to popularity so we had to wait just over 2 months for the order to arrive (when I say we a mate bought one at the same time). Our package included a Winch, Novak Crawler motor, Novak Goat3S ESC and a strong ass waterproof servo, 5300 LiPo battery blah blah blah.

I didnt realise I'd have as much fun as I did building it. I have'nt built an R/C anything since I was about 13 or 14. The difference is these days the realistic look and drivability of the units. Thats pretty much the reason I chose the Scale style of model setup. I'm not fussed by those go anywhere do anything crawlers / buggys as you pretty much know you can nail it and get up anything due to their capabilitys. The Scale trucks you have to work harder for to get the rewards, and rewards they are. The way the car shifts weight while articulating, the way it scurry's and scuffs up the rocks at an ultra low ratio crawl is nothing short of amazing. The tyre flex and level of grip between surfaces ect, it all adds up to one really fun steer.
I added the lights for effect but after its 1st lights only night run under the house last night (and she's pretty dark under there during the day let alone night time!) I was astounded at the accuarcy the lights give. I placed the lights in area's I thought would give off the best overall look and performance. I'm yet to tune the ECS to control the brake lights but will later

I've put in a few hours on the JK body, man that sucks the time up, but I do want a good paint finish so the time it gets....... I've got 2 of the New Bright JK 4 Door bodies so this one's going to be Silver and the other one gun metal grey. I was going to do a J8 conversion but that's going to take serious time, I might though, see how we go. My 2nd child is due around the 23rd May so if I dont get it done before then I dont think I will be for some time! ha!

Should have the painted JK shell with all lights back on by the weekend. And yes, I've got another set of complete lights for it as well

111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 11-04-2010
Just Build it

Quick update. Finished extending the wheelbase to 13" by installing the 106mm long lower arms. I extended the upper A frame mounts front and rear to help pinion angle too
Had to move the battery tray forward and remount LED box to make way for permanent JK shells Honcho's been a great learner but I bought it for the JK's

Steering conversion - note I've used the offset rose joints (spares in the kit) to put the drag link back in line with the tie rod, it also lowered the drag link which helped when it tucks up front left hand.

Here's the old arms with the new 106mm arms - note I've also used an offset rose joint for the lower arms to flatten of diff mounts - helps with sliding off rocks !

The old arms consumed the threaded joiners I had so I had to improvise today. Using the longer screws I threadlocked them, screwed them in and dremeled off the excess. Perfect

Here's the flex testing / wheel rubbing shots.............No rubbing anywhere

Here's the latest on the 'Good' JK Shell.....3 coats so far, then clear over the top.

I'll get some pics on the rocks tomorrow if I get time.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD

Last edited by CRDSTU; 11-04-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts

looks awesome man, love how realistic its turned out
Post New Thread  Reply