New front grill - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 29-09-2007
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New front grill

I made a grill for the front of my new JK today to protect the Radiator and Trans cooler from stones (got the idea from another forum). It looks quite good and all up only cost $47.96. If anyone is interested i took step by step photos of the whole process that i can post. It took about an hour and a half to do, but i think you could easy do another in less than an hour. I also have a bonnet lock fitted and it works fine with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new grill.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	21784  
Old 29-09-2007
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Looks good Jbee,
where what and how, already know the why.
looks better than some of those on project-jk.
what material did you use for it?
Old 29-09-2007
BANNED AGAIN

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Looks good and it works well.

New for JK's but the ideas been around for ages

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ght=mesh+grill
Old 30-09-2007
JEEPOHOLIC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Strage

Strange I was on a mission today also to install the front grill. Some guys on project JK did a good job. And after checking the price on 4wd1 for 440 dollars i was up for a challenge to try my creative side.
But at the end of the day couldnt find the mesh i was looking for.

Can you please tell me from where did you buy the mesh from and any other products. A write up with pics would be great thanxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbee View Post
I made a grill for the front of my new JK today to protect the Radiator and Trans cooler from stones (got the idea from another forum). It looks quite good and all up only cost $47.96. If anyone is interested i took step by step photos of the whole process that i can post. It took about an hour and a half to do, but i think you could easy do another in less than an hour. I also have a bonnet lock fitted and it works fine with that.
Old 30-09-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very nice mate.

Pic's of the process would be great - saves the rest of us from having to think too much!!

hehe

well done.
Old 30-09-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah i really like that job mate, looks better than the rest i have seen. Id also love the pictures and what material and where you got it from.. that would be great.

Cheers
Old 30-09-2007
AJOR Gold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Instructions and Pics

Making and fitting the grill – some bits sound confusing here but when you have it apart all will make sense. Time taken is around 60 to 90 mins. It is always better to measure twice and cut once.

NB - Pics 5 and 6 in next post

If you do this, these instructions are for guidance only. I may have accidentally omitted something or be wrong in fitting this mesh. This is a modification I made to my Jeep and if you decide to follow these instructions you assume all liability for the fitting too, and suitability of, this modification for your vehicle

Tools needed

Philips screw driver
Small flat screwdriver
Side cutters
Tape measure
Pointy nose pliers
Tin Snips
Small file
Insulating tape
Marking pen ( chinagraph is best)

Parts – cost all up $47.96

Mesh – this needs to be at least 70 x 30 – I used “Monza Performance Grill Mesh” 100cmx30cm which is $29.95 form Autobarn locally ( they also had a SAAS mesh but it is only 28cm tall which won’t fit)

Cable ties 100 @ 100mmx2.5mm from Dick Smith

Cable tie mounts 50@ 19mm x 19mm from Dick Smith - STOP PRESS - THE STICKY TABS DO NOT STAY ON - WILL INVESTIGATE ALTERNATIVES ----
UPDATE
Update - on pads and glue

The new Heavy duty double sided tape i used to hold the cable tie pads to the back of the Jeep nose has also come off - so what i have now done is to drop the self adhesive cable tie blocks into Prepsol for about a minute then the double side tape just peels off - then i used good old fashioned contact adhesive (the snot type) - a bit on the pad and a bit on the back of the jeep nose, let them go touch dry (about 5 mins in Tas) then press the cable tie pad down - seems to be working much better.

Method

1. Remove the Wiring harness connector from each front indicator from under each front mud guard by pulling the red clip out about 5mm and then pulling the connector off – pic1

2. Remove grill by unscrewing the 6 plastic screws along the top – these only come out about 8mm then you can pull them out – pic2

3. Remove the 6 plastic holders that the screws went into using a small flat screwdriver to eases them out with – pic3

4. Unclip the bottom edge of the grill ( there are 4 clips across the bottom and one next to each front indicator. The easiest way is to grab the grill next to each clip location on the bottom edge and give it a short sharp tug. Repeat for the indicator clips-these are a little more nerve wracking - pic4

5. Lay the grill upside down on a protective blanket or similar and line up one edge of the mesh with what is the edge of the furthest right grill slot (when viewed from the front ) on this side of the grill there is not much room to play with as the wiring harness for what I assume is the outdoor temperature sensor runs down to the bottom of the trans cooler Position top to bottom the mesh as shown in pic5 then tape off cut line on the other end about (69cm ) to cover all slots and leave about 1 cm over on the left hand edge of the grill (When installed and viewed from the front) – cut of surplus mesh.

6. Lay mesh back over upturned grill and mark off the mesh from the bottom right hand edge of the third slot from the right to the right hand end and then trim off the bottom edge of these two grill slots, then trim of the top right hand edge of the mesh as well this will make sure the mesh does not catch or rub on the wiring harness – again see pic5

7. Place self adhesive cable tie pads as shown in pic6

8. Slide cable ties into each of the clips reposition the mesh and attach the two central top and bottom ties (use small srew driver and pointy nose pliers or tweezers to feed cable tie ends back through the mesh). Only pull cable ties up firm do not over tighten or it will try to pulls the cable tie tabs off the grill, then trim off ties.

9. Test fit the grill with mesh now in place and make sure it does not rub on the wiring harness or anything else important. If you have a bonnet lock fitted mark out where to trim for it them remove again and trim, otherwise if all is well remove the grill again smooth off sharp edges of mesh with small file where needed and do up remaining cable ties on mesh. Refit Grill to car replacing the screws etc. If you indicators flash real fast next time you take it out for a drive you have forgotten to reconnect the indicators.

10. Sit back and admire you handywork.

GOODLUCK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	21819   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	21820   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	21821   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic4.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	21822  

Last edited by jbee; 30-10-2007 at 03:03 PM. Reason: THE STICKY TABS DO NOT STAY ON
Post New Thread  Reply