LED Headlights vs LED Bulbs - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-04-2020
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts
Default LED Headlights vs LED Bulbs

Ok my Learned Friends I thought this might be a Interesting Topic to Discuss?
since I replaced my faulty headlight switch a few of you here and on the USA Cherokee Forums have said about the H4 Harness Upgrade Which I decided to do and is coming in the mail
Now this got me thinking with the upgrade I can now run LED or HID Lights ?
I don't want to run HID so that leaves LED.
I have a few questions and would like your opinion's?
There is plenty for sale on eBay which say they are DOT .. and I don't care if they are ADR or not if I ever got pulled up I would plead Dumb! and just put the stock ones back in to keep the Dept of Transport happy (if I ever got busted) then put the LED's back in as I live in the Bush I don't Care ....
there are many versions of LED lights ranging from about $50 to $100 some have cool looking running lights.
There are also LED Bulbs you can fit to your existing Headlights .. (some bulbs even have built in fans) all for around the same price.
I googled to see if the Led Bulbs in standard headlights worked well with the standard reflector in the stock headlights really couldn't find a answer
Question 1 .... Bulbs or Headlights ?
Question 2 .... The Yanks have running lights .. We Don't ....
Question 3 .... What is the wires on the Passenger side near the Airbox the look like a 3 pin (female) H4 plug?
Question 4 .... How would I splice in Daylight Running Lights if I bought some Cool Looking LED Headlights ?
Any Ideas
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 21-04-2020
CrawlerStar

Liked 228 Times in 157 Posts

Why do you want DRL's? Out on the highway with long stretches of straight road you will surely see a vehicle with DRL's on earlier than a vehicle without them, but it makes it makes it much harder to judge the distance between you and the approaching vehicle. I've had lot's of close calls when a car caught up to me then wouldn't pass because they saw lights coming. After they sit behind you and duck out for a look a couple of times, they come around you only to find the oncoming vehicle is now almost on you, guess what's next. My view DRL"s cause accidents, I hate the bloody things. Headlights on in the daytime is even worse.

Last edited by oldon; 22-04-2020 at 02:14 AM.
Old 21-04-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

I did a TON of research. LED lights by far the best but you need quality ones. DOT means nothing. I worked backwards - $800 set of USA sold name brand LED’s, then found the factory in China actually making them, then found an Australian company importing them under a different brand with ADR for $498, then found The same LED lights sold on the internet direct by the Chinese company for $73 free postage. I purchased them and installed recently. High beam, low beam, amber turns and rigged the drl’s straight off parking light loom. 1,000% better than the halogens I thought we’re good 10:years ago. One of the best things I’ve ever done to my TJ. Can’t comment on XJ wiring.
Old 21-04-2020
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 619 Times in 415 Posts

Pic
Old 22-04-2020
Full Flexer

Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts

After problems with my headlight switch in my pre update 2 years ago, I found the wiring had burnt out. With a new switch and an ARB headlight loom, my standard H4 bulbs burn brighter than I have ever seen. I initially thought I would buy something like an IPF xenon HID bulbs but felt I never had to in the end. The headlamps definitely feel hotter when touched with the standard bulbs, and I wish my stock JKU lamps were half as bright.
Old 22-04-2020
AJOR Bronze

Liked 947 Times in 637 Posts

Whoa! oldon ... each to their own But I Totally Disagree ...
If I see a car or truck with DRL's it stands out it's like when I rode motorcycles I always had my light on hoping dickhead car drivers would see me! (and I still got run over!)
I cant see how DRL's would in Daylight would make anyone misjudge distance ? Dickheads that don't dip their lights at night and Blind you are more Dangerous and the Stupid door mirrors that say "things may appear closer than they really are) WTF! I hate the mirrors on my PT Cruiser I don't trust them!
Thanks for your comment fishy nice looking TJ
I looked at the 97 fsm and still don't know what those extra wires are near the airbox I might ask the Yanks and see if anyone knows other wise I will wait until I fir the new harness and look at the indicator power wires I might be lucky
_____ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
Old 22-04-2020
AJOR Gold

Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

Great comments so far.

25 years ago i used to live in Oslo Norway, and even then, the law was that you had to have headlights on during the day. I have also ridden motorcycles my whole life, and still run them with the headlight on.

It aids in visibility full stop!!

My XJ headlight are yellow and weak. I have a great LED light bar that just about burns the trees, but i rigged it up on high beam only as per the rules.

I am thinking about getting the wiring kit that LuluBelle has ordered. If you get this kit, it increases the voltage and brightens your original headlights right up.

Then there is really no need for LED lights.

You can also go the other way and not bother with the wiring harness upgrade, and just get the LED lights, as they use less power and will be super bright.

You can also go the whole hog and do both!!

I may do the wiring upgrade, as its cheap and it works. Then, later on, i may do the headlight upgrade if i find LED lights that fit all the criteria.

Im not sure on the rules, so i will have to look into it. I could not afford another defect notice.

In my personal opinion, i think the running lights look cool. I think they would just plug into your "park lights" plug. Its just that you would have to wire or rig something up so they go off when you park.

Anyway, watching this thread with interest. So hope the ideas and comments keep rolling in.

Cheers,