JK, 80 Series LC... whaT? - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Seven Slot Offroad 7 Slot
Find out how to advertise on Ausjeep?

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler

Portal Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 821 Times in 576 Posts

I totally agree with Banshee. I too went looking for a Defender at the start having being brought up on them, but didn't want to pay the stupid money being asked.This is why I mentioned a Defender as a possible contender for a larger 4WD to suit G.man's needs.

I'm now on my 2nd Wrangler and absolutely loved them but they are certainly nowhere near a Range Rover in any way, shape or form.
Old 11-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip View Post
Well having come from a Defer to the Wrangler, I’m calling BS on this thread. The Wrangler is closer to a Range Rover than a Defer.
What BS?

The Wrangler is tighter for leg position to us and I'm only 5'9 and slim build.

The pedals in Wrangler are further under the dash giving legs more stretch, but side-side movement where feet can be placed felt more crammed and I definitely noticed my right leg knee-down was jammed on the door with my right foot on the accelerator pedal.
Maybe it is how I sit (relaxed lounge chair type position) but that is how it was for me.

Anyway, I appreciated the feedback but as other said, until you sit in one, you just don't know. I was able to sit in both in 1 day which was a bonus because had it been later in the week, you could say "you forgot what it felt like".

So either way I had a successful weekend and now know what suits me.

Space was always a big factor, so if seating position, leg room etc was all equal dimensions/comfort, the wrangler would still be low on space (comparatively speaking).

Great car for a day out, just not suitable to us, especially for long distance in that position.
Old 11-09-2018
Grand Obsession

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 911 Times in 603 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.man View Post

Going to buy a Defender, drive up to cape york from Sydney and back. If we find we are uncomfortable after a long trip like that, I will sell the Defender and buy the 80 series Land cruiser, as that thing is pretty comfortable and spacious.
If the Defender has ESC I would hold off going to QLD or just buy the 80 series.
Old 13-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks guys,

Clarky, If you are referring to electronic stability control... that came out after 2013 I think.

I am looking for a TD5 Defender 2002-2006. Trick will be finding a good one.
Sponsored Posts
Old 14-09-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 77 Times in 53 Posts

I don't know if it was the same for all years but the Defender's drivers seat was a bit too close to the B-pillar. I am tall and if I moved the driver's seat all the way back, my shoulder presses against the B pillar. Lean a bit to the left and the pedal position becomes uncomfortable over long distances. Move the seat a bit forward so I can wind down the window and use the sill as an armrest and my knees hit the dash. And don't get me started on the handbrake position...

I have massive respect for 80s because I have seen first-hand how tough they are. BTW they do have one thing in common with the JKU - the handbrake is not to be trusted!!!
Old 14-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_za View Post
I don't know if it was the same for all years but the Defender's drivers seat was a bit too close to the B-pillar. I am tall and if I moved the driver's seat all the way back, my shoulder presses against the B pillar. Lean a bit to the left and the pedal position becomes uncomfortable over long distances. Move the seat a bit forward so I can wind down the window and use the sill as an armrest and my knees hit the dash. And don't get me started on the handbrake position...
+1 st za, yes it is the same for all of them.
Defer seat only moves about 10cm back to forwards. You just can't compare a Defer to a JK Wrangler (at least to my Wrangler). Driving position, comfort, cruising ability, performance etc etc. As I've said, the Wrangler is closer to a Range Rover than a Defender!

There is a very good reason why defer drivers drive with their window down (other than the fact the aircon is useless) and it all has to do with being able to turn the steering wheel.

If the OP is serious about buying a TD5 I just hope he is fully aware of their issues and their constraints . I loved my TD5, but I had to do a lot of mods to make reliable. So, in good faith, my OP friend, if you are looking at a TD5 then here are some things to consider:
1. In stock engine form, expect to cruise to FNQ at around 90km/h on the highway. It will do more, but you'll be pushing it and your economy will show. Hills will slow you down more than you want. Add a decent remapped ECU and it will help greatly. Remove all mufflers etc for a straight through exhaust and that also helps (and isn't really any louder - turbo takes care of that). Upgrade turbo and that will also help (about $350 from UK for a performance one - keep your stock for a spare - it's about a 15 minute swap over with basic tools on the side of the road). Do all that and you can cruise at 110 with better economy and it will pull like a bloody train and get rid of the turbo lag at low RPM (especially good in sandy situations). HOWEVER, it will also dramatically increase your exhaust gas temps if you start really pushing it. It will hammer hard but that is the trade-off and it can be catastrophic for a TD5. IMO, essential that you fit an exhaust gas temp gauge if you do any engine mods.
2. Replace your turbo anyway. They have a habit of the inner seal failing that can result in a runaway state - and that is terrifying
. That's actually a TD200. But the goose below continued to drive his TD5 in a runaway state until it ran out of oil
Of course, had he pulled over, it woudn't have made any difference as once the turbo seals let go the engine just continues to suck out all the oil until it runs dry and self destructs - no you can't turn it off.
3. Ensure that you either pull the head off and replace the plastic dowels with steel ones (no I'm not kidding), or make sure that you have documented evidence that this has been done. Otherwise going up north, high temps, towing, engine mods etc. can all contribute to higher engine temps and then the plastic dowels soften and allow the head to walk. Result is leaking coolant, overheating, blown head gasket, warped head (it's an alloy head and hates getting overheated at the best of times).
4. Don't expect the air con to keep you cool once outside temps start to climb over 30 degrees. Might as well turn it off and open all the windows - of course you'll have to do that manually. Problem then is with the drivers window that the handle will will be sticking into you leg as there is only about 10mm between the door and your body (see above).
5. Replace fuel pump. They are also a bugger for letting go. Keep the old one as a spare though. The good thing is that they will run without the pump working, but you won't go very fast, but the engine will run. But of course that can cause confusion if your TD5 will start and idle all day long but won't accelerate.
6. Check rear engine seal. They also have a habit of weeping and they are a real pain to replace.
7. Oil still leaking? Check the fuel pressure regulator, another common issue, but an easy fix.
8. Replace both MAF and MAP sensors.

I could go on and be happy to help. But to be honest, are you happy to accept all those issues? Of course you could be very fortunate and not have a single problem - but I reckon you'd be lucky, unless you can find one with all those things already addressed. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Defer, and mine was in exceptional condition and why I got top dollar for it. So even though it was unstoppable as a fwd, but given the extremely poor ergonomics, noise, heat and slowness, I still don't think I would trust it to drive to the cape and back IF I had another choice. I'd buy a Wrangler (I did) or an 80 series for sure. So I'd be ignoring the romanticism of the 'land rover' and enjoying my trip away in hopefully something less potentially troublesome.

Last edited by clip; 14-09-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Posts
Old 15-09-2018
SwampDigger

Liked 476 Times in 343 Posts

Couldn't you go into top gear & get hard on the brakes to stall it out? At least if it was a manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.man View Post
What BS?

The Wrangler is tighter for leg position to us and I'm only 5'9 and slim build.

The pedals in Wrangler are further under the dash giving legs more stretch, but side-side movement where feet can be placed felt more crammed and I definitely noticed my right leg knee-down was jammed on the door with my right foot on the accelerator pedal.
Maybe it is how I sit (relaxed lounge chair type position) but that is how it was for me.

Anyway, I appreciated the feedback but as other said, until you sit in one, you just don't know. I was able to sit in both in 1 day which was a bonus because had it been later in the week, you could say "you forgot what it felt like".

So either way I had a successful weekend and now know what suits me.

Space was always a big factor, so if seating position, leg room etc was all equal dimensions/comfort, the wrangler would still be low on space (comparatively speaking).

Great car for a day out, just not suitable to us, especially for long distance in that position.
That's probably what it is. I'm 5'10", but as I prefer to sit more upright, my right leg isn't against the door, even with the wedge under the accelerator to bring the pedal higher & more in line with the brake. You're right about the lateral room though.

As for comments about useless handbrakes in them both, I was speaking to a mechanic & mentioned that & his response was that it is the same for pretty much all 4wds, regardless of brand.

Jeeps: Lego for grownups!
Old 15-09-2018
Senior Newbie

Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
As for comments about useless handbrakes in them both, I was speaking to a mechanic & mentioned that & his response was that it is the same for pretty much all 4wds, regardless of brand.
Only for the ones that have the handbrake on the driveshaft.
Post New Thread  Reply