WK2 Snorkel - Page 52 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-03-2015

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Might get u to fit mine once i decide to go ahead with it
Old 19-03-2015
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber View Post
It's reasons like that I reckon I'd trust someone who has a PhD in air dynamics designing mine .

Pics?????
Well Bomber when I tested the KJ Cherokee snorkel for Airflow all those years ago it LOST 2lt per 100klm fuel economy and starved the engine - Hmm, maybe he didn't have his Phd back then........or it could be that they had a 38mm intake pipe instead of using a 70mm plus size...... Hmmm, the science on this is overwhelming
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 19-03-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 79 Times in 57 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Well when I had my Commander I gained about 1L/100km plus (a bit subjective) so maybe that was after he got his Automotive Air Induction Engineers qualifications..I had no complaints only that he could do with some Industrial Design help....His may be functional but ain't that pretty..Sill better than a hydrolocked engine which really is ugly..
Old 19-03-2015
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
..Still better than a hydrolocked engine which really is ugly..
Correct and that's the fundamental reason for purchasing and installing a snorkel in the 1st place. Fuel Economy is a bi product bonus of the snorkel concept - some cars gain economy and some lose it but the majority of the time they're about the same as stock. We've seen plenty of models of vehicle's over the years have a reduction in FE from fitting a snorkel, heck my stroker 4.7 TJ lost 40Hp and went backwards at nearly 3ltr per 100 when we had the Safari snorkel fitted so I had to remove that quick smart! AEV even realised that they needed to improve their snorkel design for the JK hence released a version 2 and Michael at Airflow (nice fellow) has even pulled some of his own snorkels off the market to redesign for better air ingress.

Its all subjective it seems from the customers uneducated and misunderstood outside look...........or is misinformed and internet overeducated? I can never remember - but at the end of the day snorkel science is pretty bloody simple and it either works or it doesn't.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 20-03-2015
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDSTU View Post
Its all subjective it seems from the customers uneducated and misunderstood outside look...........or is misinformed and internet overeducated? I can never remember - but at the end of the day snorkel science is pretty bloody simple and it either works or it doesn't.
Hmm That's a bit rough on us Stu..."Subjective" yes indeed but how else do we judge a snorkel when we don't have access to the necessary testing facilities??? Anyway most of us know our vehicles and can come up with a pretty good idea of before and after even if we can't quote exact figures (data) on power loss but the EVIC does give a good idea of fuel economy.

"uneducated and misunderstood outside look...........or is misinformed and internet overeducated"...Maybe so that's why most head for a proven brand name (granted they have the occasional hiccup as you've mentioned"..Only the brave go for an unknown when it comes to hacking panel work only to find their choice turns out to be a dud or not up to quoted specs"...The cost of a snorkel probably doesn't bother a lot of owners but I'm certain the cost of repairing panel work etc would if they have a dud and an alternative requires different mounting and panel access.

"snorkel science is pretty bloody simple and it either works or it doesn't" ... Hmmm that's a bit simplistic and debatable...If the science is so simple why do snorkel manufactures employ Air Induction Engineers, spend so much $ developing and testing (think Michaels setup cost over $200,000)..Obviously expensive (apart from production tooling etc) since most won't consider unless there is a sizeable market but I do agree that final proof is if works or doesn't (or kinda works). Mind you it's a bit late if you've already taken the plunge..Extensive testing porior to market release should avoid this and another reason for going to named brands eg reputation, published data, warranty and backup...Now for us to make a better "educated" decision, do you have published data on your's??

Honest questions and not intended to aggravate

Last edited by Wanderer; 21-03-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 61 Times in 32 Posts

Had the Murch snorkle fitted yesterday.

As with all his stuff very professionally made and fitting is A1

Really happy with the product.

Old 02-04-2015
Full Flexer

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounds View Post
Had the Murch snorkle fitted yesterday.

As with all his stuff very professionally made and fitting is A1

Really happy with the product.
Hmm...Looks good so now for the long term test report.
Post New Thread  Reply