Out of my comfort zone! - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter View Post
Does Phil know about the lockers? If he is fitting a 2.5" lift you could go to a larger tyre and then you should do the gears in the locker when they fit the locker - way cheaper. Phil will be able to sell you a good set of gears....
Yes he knows. He said it will be on borderline and I might get away with it. It's a CRD auto btw.
Old 09-10-2013
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts

Sounds like it's coming together nicely Sinh, good stuff
Old 09-10-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All I need now is the JK
Old 09-10-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Out of my comfort zone!

I've got the crd auto and love it. The torque is more than handy and they are not slow, the throttle tip in is a bit but once it's on boost she goes.
Old 09-10-2013
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothaz View Post
Spoke to Phil at DBOR and I think i got my ride sorted after a lengthy conversation with him. 2.5 inch lift with Icon progressive springs and Fox remote shocks. I was mislead by my mate in thinking i could make it handle more like a car but Phil at DBOR explained why its not possible but promised that this lift kit will make it perform and feel 10x better than stock. That's all i need to hear i guess. Regarding the lockers, i'll keep them as it was part of a deal and i don't see the negative in having them.
Agreed, I reckon this will be an awesome 4x4 when all done. Just be aware though that the lift kit might make it "perform and feel 10x better than stock"... but on the trail, not on the road. I'm not disrespecting any advice you have been given, but you must remember that mods for Wranglers tend to be for better off-road performance, not the city/hwy. You said you wanted the JK more for the road than bush? Jacking a car up which already has a high centre of gravity just makes it worse (I'm talking road behaviour here people, so don't slam me for not supporting a good lift...)

Sorry, I don't mean to be too critical it's just that I'm maybe to careful with my $$$
Old 09-10-2013
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 107 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony1 View Post
Agreed, I reckon this will be an awesome 4x4 when all done. Just be aware though that the lift kit might make it "perform and feel 10x better than stock"... but on the trail, not on the road. I'm not disrespecting any advice you have been given, but you must remember that mods for Wranglers tend to be for better off-road performance, not the city/hwy. You said you wanted the JK more for the road than bush? Jacking a car up which already has a high centre of gravity just makes it worse (I'm talking road behaviour here people, so don't slam me for not supporting a good lift...)

Sorry, I don't mean to be too critical it's just that I'm maybe to careful with my $$$
I don't agree. My 2.5" lifted JKU CRD handles 10x better on the road than it ever did stock. It's a load more comfortable and doesn't try to kill me by spearing off road on bumpy roads. The stock suspension leaves a lot to be desired so it is certainly possible to lift it and have it ride better. Yes, you are lifting the centre of gravity and you need to be aware of that but with adjustable track bars or track bar brackets you also adjust the roll centre as well which helps control it. All that said, it's never going handle like a saloon car but that's half the fun!

To the OP, congrats on your choice and I'm sure you'll love the JK.
One thing I would add is that lockers are a huge asset when you know how to use them BUT in the wrong hands they just mean that you get even further into trouble before you get stuck meaning the recovery is all that much more interesting! Worst case, without the relevant experience, they can even help you put the JK on it's roof if you're not careful. In my case this was also my first 4WD and I've still not got lockers on mine. It takes me everywhere I want to go and I loose my nerve a long time before I reach the capability of the JK as it is now, never mind with lockers. They can be a great asset though so learn how/when to use them and have fun!

Last edited by Paul-JK; 09-10-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I would agree with that. I dont jave lockers on mine and up til recently still had stock tyres on a 2.5" lift. The only time I have been stuck was on a muddy hill that no one was able to drive up.

A patrol on 35 muds winched himelf up and pulled the rest of us up!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 4

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Post New Thread  Reply