Engine transplant - BA/BF 4.0L into a TJ?? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep New Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-07-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Engine transplant - BA/BF 4.0L into a TJ??

Hi guys,

This might be an idea that I never end up pursuing, but it's one that I think should be raised, because it has a fair bit of merit.

The Aussie engineered and assembled "Barra" 6 cylinder has more power, and more torque, and a flatter torque curve than the AMC 4.0L 6 cylinder. It has similar dimensions, has a similar bore/stroke configuration, uses less petrol and is smoother and more sophisticated.

One of the biggest problems for the Barra is that it is missing support from large manufacturers, and with Ford regearing for a "global" future, with a global RWD platform, the 6 cylinder's death knell is about to toll.

What I'd like to know is basically why someone hasn't thought about reliving the glory days of the Combat 6 - start running Ford engines in Jeep Wranglers, which benefits the Wrangler by supplying a much stronger engine, benefits Ford by giving them a strong support base for their engine, and supports Australians by promoting Australian Engineering and manufacturing.

I'm open to any opinions, or suggestions, so feel free to add your two cents.
Old 23-07-2010
westside wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

it soulds like a lot of work and expence for small gains.... what gearbox and transfer would you use? add the cost of adapters if they even make them. would you go that way if for less money you could fit a ls1. it has alot more power and would not use much more fuel and there are cheep bolt in conversion kits off the shelf for tj's. only my thorts.
Old 23-07-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If it was me, I'd stick to the cheapest option for sure (I'm only human, right?), but I'm talking on a grander scale. The reason Jeep decided to put V6es into CJ5s back in the day is because a mechanic started transplanting them in place of the F head. People liked the idea, heads were turned, and eventually deals were made. If it was a one-off conversion then I'd say you're right, in that it'd be costly for the power gained. But having said that, if you had, say, 150 people who liked your upgrade and asked for one themselves, then the cost of adapters is reduced significantly.

I'm not really sure about transmission/x-case choices, but I know that most BW/Tremec solutions, i.e. the T5, should bolt onto the Falcon 6 cylinder. The power and torque values aren't extreme either, so as long as you behave yourself then the driveline should hold up OK.

Granted I haven't really thought about this in a lot of detail - I just want to throw it out there and see what people think.
Old 23-07-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
If it was me, I'd stick to the cheapest option for sure (I'm only human, right?), but I'm talking on a grander scale. The reason Jeep decided to put V6es into CJ5s back in the day is because a mechanic started transplanting them in place of the F head. People liked the idea, heads were turned, and eventually deals were made. If it was a one-off conversion then I'd say you're right, in that it'd be costly for the power gained. But having said that, if you had, say, 150 people who liked your upgrade and asked for one themselves, then the cost of adapters is reduced significantly.

I'm not really sure about transmission/x-case choices, but I know that most BW/Tremec solutions, i.e. the T5, should bolt onto the Falcon 6 cylinder. The power and torque values aren't extreme either, so as long as you behave yourself then the driveline should hold up OK.

Granted I haven't really thought about this in a lot of detail - I just want to throw it out there and see what people think.

Yep ... its no different to back when old landrover and other brand, motor swaps were the done thing.

People wanted a "known" engine, with commonly available parts - for general use ..... and adapter kits became common for falcon and holden engine swaps.

Qld Tpt even had a pre-approved list of motor swaps for various vehicles at one stage.

Now of course ... the govt doesnt want you "tinkering" with your vehicle .... and parts availability is largely irrelevant .... Stuff nearly always has to be ordered - no matter what brand.

Falcon motor would be an interesting mod for general use ...... Anything with comp requirements and big expectations should probably stick with LS1 type upgrades tho.

Last edited by carvesdodo; 23-07-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 23-07-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah and the fuel consumption aint that much better my brothers guzzles mor than my tj and it also seems gutless compared to the tj
Old 23-07-2010
Full Flexer

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

i would have thought TJ's and CJ's engines would have to be the worse fuel consumption of most of the 6 cylinder engines as compared with a modern 6 now.

i have also thought about puting a modern 6 in my TJ. if it was real easy id give it a go.

but at the end of the day if youre going to all the trouble of swaping engines you may as well go V8.

greater cool factor.
Old 23-07-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvesdodo View Post
Yep ... its no different to back when old landrover and other brand, motor swaps were the done thing.

People wanted a "known" engine, with commonly available parts - for general use ..... and adapter kits became common for falcon and holden engine swaps.

Qld Tpt even had a pre-approved list of motor swaps for various vehicles at one stage.

Now of course ... the govt doesnt want you "tinkering" with your vehicle .... and parts availability is largely irrelevant .... Stuff nearly always has to be ordered - no matter what brand.

Falcon motor would be an interesting mod for general use ...... Anything with comp requirements and big expectations should probably stick with LS1 type upgrades tho.
Makes you wish engine swaps were still the done thing doesn't it - red tape kills the fun!

General use is sorta what I thought it'd be best for - comp users would surely want something a little more exotic. I just think it's stupid that governments are yelling about saving jobs and inspiring greener automotive solutions, while at the same time ignoring very easy answers. The Geelong plant could be saved, and even expanded, if there was a legal and regulated way to complete the engine swap. Heck, you could even set up an extension to a Ford manufacturing line, e.g. Broadmeadows or Geelong, where engines were swapped or installed on site.

As for fuel consumption; I know it isn't a direct comparison, but the city consumption of a BA/BF Falcon is about 15 L/100km, whereas the TJ consumes about 20 L/100km... I think highway consumption is about the same at about 9 L/100km. Carbon emissions per km are lower as well - 215g compared to around 300g for the TJ. Not only are these figures better than a TJ, I'm pretty sure they're very close to the V6 JK as well.

I just wish I had the money to do it myself lol...