Car PC - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-02-2009
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Default Car PC

Not sure if this is the right spot for this but here goes.

I decided I wanted a bigger screen for my GPS in the Jeep, currently I run an old Ipaq 6115 (These are about 5-6yrs old) it works great but is starting to get a bit worse for wear after 5 years in the Jeep (battery cover has fallen off, backup battery doesn't work etc etc) I was originally going to just use my HTC Touch phone but thought I might have a go at building a Car PC.

The parts have started coming in so here's a list of what I have so far.

Hardware

EeePC 900HA, tiny laptop with 160GB hard drive and wireless etc running XP home
Bluetooth dongle from Jaycar
Bluetooth GPS (Already had this but may put in a USB GPS and hard wire it)
Brando USB Radio I will have no headunit so this will be the radio and will connect to the laptop via USB, I'll be hardwiring it to the Jeeps antennae rather than use the little one on it. This radio module is also compatible with Centrafuse so the on screen controls for that will work.

Software - This may change but I have this all running at the moment on the laptop

Windows XP home
Centrafuse (Front end interface)
Garmin Mobile PC For street navigation (added into the centrafuse front end)
Oziexplorer For offroad navigation, again added into centrafuse as a single button
Franson GPSGate To allow me to share the GPS between multiple gps applications so I dont have to shut them down when switching from on to offroad

Still to come

8" LCD Touch screen, being ordered this week (A must have is native resolution of 800X600)
4 channel AMP, to run the speakers, the laptop will plug into this since I have no headunit
USB Hub, so I can have some usb outlets on the dash for USB keys etc as I'll have no CD/DVD player it will all be via USB

The Jeep and where it all goes

I have a new surround plate for the dash, this is going to be modified to have the screen mounted in it something like this. Mine will be a bigger screen.

The Eeepc will mount in the centre console under the arm rest in a cradle so I can take it out as needed.

Not sure on location of USB ports etc yet.

And what I hope to get from all this.

Be able to run street and offroad GPS, Video, MP3, Radio, Internet access via phone so email, weather etc available on the touch screen, bluetooth hands free via eepc and screen. Be able to download from the camera to the eepc whilst on the trails and park the Jeep in the garage at home and transfer through my wireless network to the machine at home, also update the music/video/topo maps on the eeepc the same way (or take it into the house) Anyway, lots of cool techie stuff

Should have some actual build details shortly when the gear starts to arrive.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Steve F; 22-02-2009 at 07:34 AM.
Old 22-02-2009
So play on just play on

Just ordered the monitor

Cheers
Steve
Old 23-02-2009
So play on just play on

Ordered some more bits today Two webcams, I was after a few specifics as one will be used as a reversing cam (mostly for hooking up the camper) and the other mounted on the dash (or a waterproof box in the grille) to record straight to the HD. The cams have auto white balance and colour compensation, they run at 30fps at 1024x768 or 25fps at 1600x1200. I don't know how they'll perform in sunlight etc but for around $18 a piece on ebay it's worth a try.

Total cost so far is under $900 and all that's left to get is a USB hub and AMP.

Cheers
Steve
Old 23-02-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Fantastic effort so far.

Would have loved to do this ages ago.... but actual financial commitment is a biggie for mounting a PC into a car!!

Would like to see how it comes together into the car.
Old 25-02-2009
So play on just play on

Got my LCD touch screen today, 3 days since I ordered it from China on Ebay, it's a real nice screen and is brighter and nicer looking than the one on the Eee PC. Decided to leave the headunit in the Jeep and as a backup for the radio etc and as the AMP and will mount the screen in front of it on a small mount. Here's a quick video taken in bad light but you get the idea of the touch screen size and some of the features of the centrafuse front end and how it looks with Ozi explorer plugged into it.

Cheers
Steve
Old 25-02-2009
Queenslander

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Steve, soulds pretty much like my set up with the head unit playing the part of the AMP/Radio etc. I had my screen on the dash to start with, but now I've moved it to above the rear view mirror.

Much better position for me as its well out of the way and being bolted to the windscreen frame means there is no movement of it at all.

Poor quality picture, but you get the idea...

The video card driver allows me to rotate the image but I could do it through the screen settings also I believe.

Last edited by KentM; 25-02-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 25-02-2009
So play on just play on

The XJ dash to roof area is so small that I cant mount mine above the mirror or on the dash, there's just no room. The mount will come out of the dash below the stereo and above the aircon controls and the screen will be in front of the stereo. Just means I'll have to reach behind it to change the input but I'll probably run a headunit with a remote to make that a little easier. Anyway, should get some pics on the weekend as I hope to start on reinforcing the dash surround from behind for the mount for the screen.

Cheers
Steve