rear brake fail - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-12-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default rear brake fail

hey guys

last night was driving when the hand brake light came on and then the brakes nearly went to the floor, pulled over had a quick look at the front then looked at the rear and seen just about all the fluid coming out from the rear left drum, the other night had to lock up the brakes, has this happen to any one else? haven't got the car back home yet so im not sure on what it is yet, any idea's would be a massive help!! got the rears not to long a go at a brake place they cleaned it all up and replaced the rear shoe's. so im guessing the boot has come off??
cheers Elliot.
Old 24-12-2010
RealJeepsdon'thavedoors

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

sounds like the brake slave cylinder, they normally seep for ages before letting go completely, odd the brake place didn't see it leaking.
Old 24-12-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok cool, well cheers for that. will look into it! but hitting the brakes hard could that push it out if there not adjusting properly?
Old 25-12-2010
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

its the wheel (brake) cylinder - get BOTH sides replaced. its probably been leaking for awhile and you killed it by hitting the brakes hard (not that its your fault). very doubtful it has anything to do with the adjustment but the shoes/hardware could be improperly assemblied and something has come apart. that brake shop is criminal for not checking the cylinders for leaks (about 20% of them do it). get it sorted at a different shop - id be very angry if a brake shop let that slide. inept morons!

Last edited by Rodgebone; 25-12-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 25-12-2010
Symphony Composer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately, you have probably destroyed the shoes as they don't like brake fluid on them. They will need to be replaced. I'd take it back to the original shop for warranty work..

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 26-12-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well just got it back, there fluid every where on the wheel so new pads tomorrow, well the shop it had work done at wont be open till the 4th of jan or some thing.ill do it at home but i've been to the shop before and been pretty happy with what they did, but just hate doing rear brakes.....but thanks for the replys.

cheers elliot
Old 26-12-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take pics of everything!!
Keep your receipts!
Like said before, it's very uncommon for a SC to burst like that!
If it is just your seals then there should have been warning signs!
But if they cleaned everything it would be hard to tell...
Sorry to hear!

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?
Post New Thread  Reply