wheel spacers - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-11-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default wheel spacers

anyone using wheel spacers/adapters??

i have an XJ ive had for going on 22 years and it has 15x8 alloys with 3.75 back spacing, lately ive been getting some comments as they stick out past the guards a bit, even though they have been like it for the last 15 years or more.

i also have a wk2 that i have fitted 20 inch wheels to, so have a nice set of 18 x 8 5 spoke wheels and good street tyres, but wrong bolt pattern, it would be handy to have then on the XJ as then i could have some MT tyres on one and street tyres on the other and swap as needed.

1 or 1.25 inch spacers would do the trick.

so what would you do.
Old 26-11-2019
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts

sell your WK2 rims and invest in a new pair for the XJ. Wheel spacers are not road legal in Australia, end of story.
Old 26-11-2019
CrawlerStar

Liked 252 Times in 117 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

thanks, and yes i am aware of the legalities, however the question still remains.

actually I'm happy with it the way it is.

however it would be convenient to have two vehicles with the same stud pattern.
Old 27-11-2019
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

Liked 6,574 Times in 4,353 Posts

I would not touch wheel spacers for any car. Especially the front. There was recently an article on a 4X$ page that had some photos of failures. They were alloy spacers. Best do as others have suggested & get rims with correct backspacing. If you have a slight protrusion issue, lawn edging is the go.
Old 02-12-2019
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

I put spaces on once. They lasted on there about one day. The car drove like crap at anything above 60km/h and generally I just really didn't feel safe with them on so I took them off. Might have just been because they were pretty cheap ones, dunno. Lot of people run them, don't seem to have much issue. They would put more stress on the wheel studs, bearings and axles flanges than the designed intended though,.

Follow us across Australia https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqy...zG8C-c7zERG1Dw
Old 03-12-2019
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac View Post
i also have a wk2 that i have fitted 20 inch wheels to, so have a nice set of 18 x 8 5 spoke wheels and good street tyres, but wrong bolt pattern, it would be handy to have then on the XJ as then i could have some MT tyres on one and street tyres on the other and swap as needed.

1 or 1.25 inch spacers would do the trick.

so what would you do.
I just put on my 90's Ford Explorer 16" teardrop alloys, came with 255/70/16 AT, same circumference as my Jeep 30 X 9.5" MT

They have a better backspacing arrangement, look good, and 16" tyres are more common these days
Old 05-12-2019
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: FSJ
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I'm not sure how running wheel spaced will put more stress on bearings, wheel studs etc than running an equivalent backspacing. Both are increasing the lever applying force to them.

But in saying that it's been a long time since I did physics...

So many Americans run spacers, you don't see many reports of failure. The legal issue is a problem but most 4x4s driving around have modifications that are not legal, chances are with 3.75 bs you are legally too wide already.

I personally would just opt for the fares or extensions.
Post New Thread  Reply