4wd Action Mag - Jeep Fails Again!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-09-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 4wd Action Mag - Jeep Fails Again!!

Just received the latest mag with a comparo between the JK diesel, Defender, and Toyota 76 - last of the live axle 4wd's.

Unfortunately, although the Jeep made if off the sand, the clip failed on the 4wd lever and they couldn't test it any further - they said they'd never heard of this problem before - if only they'd been reading here!!!

One comment - they had a brand new CRD auto - they have 460nm, not 400 like they claim!!!
Old 14-09-2009
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the poor build quality and the faulty parts problem just goes on and on.........
Old 14-09-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

I sepnt 2 weeks with the magazine crew on a trip recently, they told me this JK failure during a test was coming up.

I did ask why they didnt fix it themselves and continue, and their response was along the lines of ' its up to us to drive and test them, not repair them. All cars should be thoroughly checked by the dealer/manufacturer before handing it to us, if they dont do their job properly or an item fails, so be it, we'll call them on it and report it as it happens'.

I think thats a fair enough stance to take, or else how far would/should they go on trackside repairs?

Last year they had a Hummer to take accross the simmo, but in their pre delivery checking GM forgot to refill the ps reservior with fluid.... resulting in steering failure. GM tried to pin it on the mag guys apparently.

We did a test of different camper trailers, and some failed. Broken suspension, poor fit and finish, and dodgy design all contributed to failures. And they will print it as it occurred.

LRA got the sh!tes with them big time a few years ago when they left a disco (that had gone into limp mode after a minor water crossing) on the side of the track on cape york, rang LRA and told them to go get it.

And another Mfr accused them of sabotaging their camper in a previous test and damaging it on purpose just to get the result they were after for magazine sales puropses.

Of course all manufacturers are going to say 'we never heard of that happening before'......

After spending time with them it is clear they play no favours to any manufacturer, no matter what one eyed brand loyal readers will think or say.
Old 14-09-2009
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Richo, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, the last Two ute of the year tests the Navara has damaged the oil pan on rocks, they fixed that. It seems that they will repair something when it suits their purposes.

That being said they shouldn't have to fix a $2.00 clip to test a vehicle.
Old 14-09-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

I love my Jeep but Jeep Australia need a good kick in the ass there service is rubbish. They didn't give a rats when this problem is happening to the average Joe. Look how they deal (not) with the wranglers catching on fire.
Old 14-09-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJ View Post
Richo, I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, the last Two ute of the year tests the Navara has damaged the oil pan on rocks, they fixed that. It seems that they will repair something when it suits their purposes.

That being said they shouldn't have to fix a $2.00 clip to test a vehicle.
From what they told me it was still driveable despite being damaged, and they took it back to Nissan that way. I can check with Shaun if you like?
Old 14-09-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Part of the testing should take into account how easy it is to fix things that go wrong. For example, what would you prefer to practise your bush mechanic skills on? A cable activated transfer or a Discovery 3 with electronic control of the transfer case that won't shift out of 4wd?

Yes the clip failed, however they were able to identify the problem and could have either bodged it up or shifted back into 2wd. Could the same be said of an electronically controlled transfer case that decided it didn't want to shift?
Post New Thread  Reply