WH Superchips Flashpaq Tuning - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-02-2011
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts
Default WH Superchips Flashpaq Tuning

I bought a SC Flashpaq Tuner 3875 for my Jeep GC 5.7L HEMI just over a week ago and I'm having some issues in setting the tune properly.

First, I changed the stock tune to 87 fuel and I could tell the transmission shift points have changed and the car feels more aggressive and faster.

Then I changed to 91 fuel. The car seemed even more aggressive, a bit smoother than 87 setting though, IMO.

When I took it for a test drive and tested with WOT, the CEL came on with these codes:
P0700 - Transmission control system (MIL request)
P0740 - TCC out of range

After clearing the codes, I changed the tyre size to 29.5 (it was at 28.25) by SC, the light came on again. After clearing the codes another 2 times and testing with different tyre sizes and WOT, the light kept on appearing every time I pressed hard on the pedal.

Even the MDS wouldn't work properly. Every time I would downshift when going downhill, and when cruising on a flat surface, the MDS wouldn't work unless I restarted the car. BTW, I have the MDS light 'ON' indicator installed.

Then I changed the tune back to stock and everything seems to be working fine. No CEL, MDS works even after manually changing gears.

So, can someone guide me to the right setup on this flashpaq. It's just a bit funny after spending around 380 odd dollars on a performance tuner, I'm running a stock tune, LOL.

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 26-02-2011
MudSplasher

OK, while running the stock tune, I just got the CEL last night with the usual 2 codes about transmission and TCC. I also got an additional one:

P1521 - Wrong engine oil

I also took out the air filter and blew it with the air compressor (did have a bit of fluff in it), inserted it back in AND conneced that hose (this time) that comes from below the oil filler cap, and guess what, the car isn't idling rough anymore when the hose is connected.

Old 27-02-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm surprised it would run properly with an 87 tune, given that we have higher octane fuel than the US , 91 is their performance fuel, but it's our basic unleaded, it'd be interesting to see if it can handle 98 fuel.

I'd say send them an e-mail and double check that the tune program you're using is compatible with Aus. spec jeeps.
Old 03-03-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi again briteway,
i'm a little confused about what u expected the different tunes to do to your grand?. i'm on 87 tune and its great, hangs in the gears better plenty more torque and downshifts quickly. we are what you would say sports drivers always in front of the pack and use wot to overtake trucks etc. often drive from sea level to 240m 2-3 times a week and unless on the freeway dont really take it easy at all and average 16l down to 13-14l
It seems you may have an underlying problem regardless of sc tunes.
Now that your codes show in factory tune i think you may have a problem with the lock up converter, the code for tcc is when the converter doesnt lock up properly, the computer checks engine speed with the input speed to the trans and they should be the same otherwise the converter is slipping in lockup.Having more torque and stronger shifts may have brought this to the surface when changing tunes.
you mentioned the hose on the air box messing the idle and now the oil pressure is wrong as well as having very bad economy before. you could have a intermittent fault with the air temp sensor in the intake tube even its wiring if playing around with the breather tube changes things. a intermittent fault with air temp,water temp or o2 can cause over fuelling or codes for wrong oil pressure,ie engine is hot but computer thinks its cold so the oil pressure would be over its cold running range- that would also not allow mds to work.anyway these are just my thoughts though i'm not a qualified mech just a keen backyarder haha.
Old 03-03-2011
MudSplasher

No, no, no, you are being very helpful and I enjoy chatting with you. Just by exchanging conversation, I'm learning about a lot of things.

I'm about to do a change of EGR and PCV valves and the pre-cat O2 sensors this weekend and possibly a MAP sensor along with an engine oil change and filter.

Perhaps the following weekend, I'll change the IAT and the 2 post-cat O2 sensors. I'm also planning to install a catch can and possibly spark plugs. Then I'll see how things go from the fuel perspective.

Now, with the TC or transmission, should I flush them and replace the oil filters? And do you think some sort of a solenoid could be the culprit there?

EDIT: I wish I have the economy of your HEMI. Mine at the moment has increased to 25-26L/100km with normal (trying to be careful) driving.

Last edited by briteway; 03-03-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 03-03-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taresk View Post
I'm surprised it would run properly with an 87 tune, given that we have higher octane fuel than the US , 91 is their performance fuel, but it's our basic unleaded, it'd be interesting to see if it can handle 98 fuel.

I'd say send them an e-mail and double check that the tune program you're using is compatible with Aus. spec jeeps.
Fuel "octane" ratings are different between here and the US.
Their 87 isn't comparable to an equivalent Aussie 87, if it were available, it's closer to 91. Their 91 is closer to our 95.
Old 03-03-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

An oil change and filters may help with the trans but the reason for torque convertor slip could be hard to find at home. a trans shop may end up being the only way, for me i have a friend who owns a trans shop and a service centre that like jeeps. By not having any probs with mine i would only be guessing.
Just another idea if you have an android or i phone you can get an app like Torque. with the purchase of a cheap ebay odb2 bluetooth module that plugs into the diagnostic port gaining access to all the engine sensors among many other things could help find a faulty sensor by its reading jumping around.i know i can see all my sensor readings and they are slowly updating pid's so soon more jeep ones may be available at the moment they dont seem to go into the trans computer much, we used it to try find out why a voyager was stuck in limp mode.
Just another thought changing tyre size will change how the trip computer sees your litres per 100km. i'm still fuzzy in the area of tyre size changes.
Internet time soon for some research haha