Help with starting modifications - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-02-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with starting modifications

Hey everyone,

I'm really new to these forums and off-roading, Only got my 2008 4-Door Wrangler JK Unlimted Sports 6Cyl 3.8L AUTO 2 weeks ago...

I want to start DIY modifications and other modifications which require professional installment but majority of the modifications i can do myself in confidence i will take the chance to install my self.

I just wanted opinions from experienced drivers and off-roaders on WHAT to actual do to my vehicle, i was thinking about a basic list which i have below;
- 12,000LB 6.6HP Winch
- ARB Front/Rear Bumpers
- 3" Lift kit
- 33's Dual Terrian tyres
- Spotties (Front and Rear)
- E-Lockers
- Snorkel
- Thinner Flares
- Angry Eye Grille
- LED for interior as it gets pitch black inside
- Cargo Net for convertible
- A new exhaust manifold system
- Rubber grip handles for inside
- Roof Rack w/ roof top tent (Was thinking of the downs about this that I wouldn't be able to take the hard top off)
- Skid Plates
- A detail which gives the car this rough black matte surface that protects you from scratches if anyone could please tell me the proper term/name

That's a rough idea/list i have currently but will most likely be adding more the more i look around and research but would love it if someone could please recommend me some modifications/parts and if some of the parts listed are useless (I know some are exterior modifications just for looks)

Also to note i will be taking the vehicle off-roading in sand, mud, bush and semi-tough terrain and slowly build up my experience with clubs and car cruises around WA if anyone can also recommend

Cheers
Old 16-02-2018
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

First thing you should do is prioritise your list into needed, wishes and why.

For example, the things that should be first on your list are decent tyres and a recovery kit (maxtrax, snatch straps, shovel, shackles) A winch and a snorkel are handy but not a top priority.

Not sure if the rules are the same in WA, but in NSW anymore than a suspension 2" lift and 1" wheel lift requires engineering certification which significantly adds to the cost.

So do you really need a 3" lift? Probably not, but it does look good. A 2" lift doesn't require certification and will get you everywhere a 3" lift will.

Things like lockers aren't really needed on the JK. They do very well without them so make this one a very low priority if you really want one.

Smaller items like grab handles, grills etc, just pick up when you have spare cash. Keep an eye on the market thread on this forum as these items always pop up fairly cheap. Ebay is also a good place for things like that.

The thing is, with Jeeps, the modification bug hits you big time so it's easy to spend big dollars without realising it. Take your time, you don't need everything at once but do get a recovery kit first. There is nothing worse than having to help someone that's bogged and doesn't even bother to help themselves by not carrying anything.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 16-02-2018
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts

I would firstly book yourself in for some four wheel driving training with your stock car, perhaps join a local 4x4 club, you'd be surprised what it can do. Secondly as stated you need recover gear and rated recover points. Next on the list should be a compressor so you can air down/up and some swaybar disconnects. After that you need to decide if you want to remain legal or run the gauntlet. A 2 inch lift is the max you are likely allowed to go. Going higher is expensive if you want it engineered (my 3.5 inch lift cost around $5k to install and engineer). A 2 inch lift and some aggressive 33s will get you to a lot of places.
Old 16-02-2018
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I would start off with a basic lift, tyres, recovery gear and just drive it. Find out what works or doesn't work and base the next round of mods off that.

If you new to 4wding, you will be better of learning to drive with out lockers. All a locker does is get you further into shit, that you shouldn't be in.

The ARB bars are expensive, and imho don't look as good as some of the other options. Have a look around at the site sponsors. The money saved here will pay for the winch.

Aesthetic stuff is just that, keep an eye on ebay. Lots of stuff for cheap.

Skids plates are good, but only if you need them. Wait and see what terrain you end up driving, you may not need them.

The roof rack/tent can be had so that the hard top can be removed. They mount down to the body.
Old 16-02-2018
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggy View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm really new to these forums and off-roading, Only got my 2008 4-Door Wrangler JK Unlimted Sports 6Cyl 3.8L AUTO 2 weeks ago...

I want to start DIY modifications and other modifications which require professional installment but majority of the modifications i can do myself in confidence i will take the chance to install my self.

I just wanted opinions from experienced drivers and off-roaders on WHAT to actual do to my vehicle, i was thinking about a basic list which i have below;

- 12,000LB 6.6HP Winch

- ARB Front/Rear Bumpers

- 3" Lift kit

- 33's Dual Terrian tyres

- Spotties (Front and Rear)

- E-Lockers

- Snorkel

- Thinner Flares

- Angry Eye Grille

- LED for interior as it gets pitch black inside

- Cargo Net for convertible

- A new exhaust manifold system

- Rubber grip handles for inside

- Roof Rack w/ roof top tent (Was thinking of the downs about this that I wouldn't be able to take the hard top off)

- Skid Plates

- A detail which gives the car this rough black matte surface that protects you from scratches if anyone could please tell me the proper term/name

That's a rough idea/list i have currently but will most likely be adding more the more i look around and research but would love it if someone could please recommend me some modifications/parts and if some of the parts listed are useless (I know some are exterior modifications just for looks)

Also to note i will be taking the vehicle off-roading in sand, mud, bush and semi-tough terrain and slowly build up my experience with clubs and car cruises around WA if anyone can also recommend

Cheers

My advise would be to keep a look out at your present car weight and where you going to land at with your mods.

GVM upgrades can be expensive.

Hitesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16-02-2018
I just registered

Liked 49 Times in 45 Posts

That's a 20k+ list of mods that you will likely not see a cent back on, and will likely result in you being over GVM with anything more than just yourself in the vehicle.

Bullbar yes, recovery gear (Snatch shackles shovel and trax), smallest lift to clear 33's which you can fit to a stock height JK (yours no doubt has sagged a fair bit), tyres and a uhf.

Save the rest of your money for upkeep with an older Jeep your going to have a bit of that.

Last edited by OzRick25; 16-02-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 16-02-2018
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 121 Times in 86 Posts

Join the 'Perth Jeep Community' on FB, a lot of Jeepers on there and always planning 4wd drive trips. Good group of people on there and plenty of info as everyday there are people asking the exact same questions as you have.

Some great local workshops too for Jeeps in Perth, so professional help is not far away or too expensive either to get.

For all of your accessories, I highly recommend SBR Offroad as a starting point, they are one of the best suppliers of quality gear for Jeeps, they have regular containers of the best lift kits, wheels, bullbars etc from the US, they are local, and their pricing is very competitive.

For smaller items such as grab handles, cargo nets, etc like someone else has said, you can get these fairly cheaply with spare cash from places like eBay etc.

As a starting point, like others have said, get yourself a recovery kit. Nothing worse than helping someone to recover their vehicle and they don't have any recovery gear. Recovery kits can be had for cheap from places like Supercheap or 4wd Supa Centre, just look around.

BUT it is very exciting when you get your first Jeep, and what you have just bought is a very capable rig offroad. To be very honest you don't 'need' half of the things you have listed. But we all 'want' them lol.

My advice is to just get out there and enjoy your Jeep as much as you can first, get to know it, learn about your driving abilities and style, and learn about what your JK is capable of. After a few trips you will be able to prioritise and fine tune your build list.

Like somebody else said, you have a $20k list of mods there, unless you are extremely rich and don't care about spending that, then great go for it, but like I said the JK is very capable in stock form, you don't 'need' to mod it just to go offroad like you normally have to for other so called 4wds.

Also remember that the more you go offroad the more wear and tare you have on your vehicle. A 4wd is not like a car where it never gets pushed to its limits. Offroading puts stress on the susp, steering components, and driveline as they are always twisting and flexing etc. Plus any other damage you do yourself from being too adventurous or misjudgment on a track (which happens a lot to everyone when finding the limits). So be prepared to service your Jeep regularly, look after it so it looks after you when you are at your favourite camping spot, keep on top of wear and tare, try to replace every item that needs replacing with a better/stronger item as they come up for replacement.
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121119

Last edited by Turismo07; 16-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply