Tuning an XJ Cherokee 4.0 - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2011

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have 2 large dogs and go camping as often as work allows so we need as much room as possible. A gas tank in the back would mean no dogs could come and a gas tank under the back would take away our ground clearance and I won't run just dedicated gas so removing the petrol tank is out. All I want to do is fine tune the factory set up or install a chip and exhaust upgrade to make it breath better and hopefully improve the economy. I have no probs with gas I've had plenty of hot V8's in my younger years running dedicated gas on custom setups that made very good power and returned even better economy figures, there is just no room for tank fittment. My daughters XJ on the otherhand will be getting gas fitted ASAP because she doesnt have the same space issues my wife's XJ has (no big dogs)
Old 03-07-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb View Post
Getting about 430km with stock rubber.

Also epic water crossing photo there!!
Thanks mate that's the wife wheeling it after she was told to take it easy going into the water. Apparently easy means foot to floor in woman language.
Old 03-07-2011
MonsterMoose

Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

[QUOTE=The Nicho's;1202156]We have 2 large dogs and go camping as often as work allows so we need as much room as possible. A gas tank in the back would mean no dogs could come and a gas tank under the back would take away our ground clearance and I won't run just dedicated gas so removing the petrol tank is out. QUOTE]

Yerr I only have about 320-330mm clearance between the tank and ground, which may not be enough for serious off roading. And not to mention it was a massive job installling the aux petrol tank.

Regards A
Old 03-07-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I reckon the general concenus is that your fuel consumption is pretty good, thus why you cannot seems to get any improvement with what you have done. As far as chips go I do not know of one that is not aimed at performance increase. Put simply you can only decrease your fuel consumption either by putting less into the motor or gaining efficiencies. If every thing is basically ok then this is a game of small increments.
Old 03-07-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

And when you say 400K's to a tank how many litres do you put in,
with a 73 litre tank if you are putting in say 65 litres and you've done 400K's thats 16 l/100k's which is pretty good for daily driving, i could never get that out of any of my 4.0 L motors beit XJ or TJ.

Yet my first XJ on a trip loaded with the family towing a small (1200KG's) caravan i could get 15 l/100K's, still had to to much so i fitted a aux. tank.

"Such Is Life"
Old 03-07-2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fair enough I would have thought it was capable of lower figures but I have been corrected. I'll just tell the handbrake to put up with it or lose the ability to take the dogs with her. She's asking for bigger tyres now so I'm thinking those figures will get considerably worse. Maybe the fuel bill, new lift kit and engineers requirements and cost will sway her to keep it as it is.
Post New Thread  Reply