Handbrake Failure - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-08-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good tips there yetiboy... might have a look at mine over the weekend.... (the bracket)
Old 07-11-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Digging up an older one here... Mine had been working perfectly since new, but since a trip tot he Glasshouse Mountains and through the sloppy mud it has rapidly started to get less and less effective. Had to remove the calipers to get the adjustment rubber seal out so I pulled the disc off - to reveal a drum assembly very full of dried sandy mud, so I hosed it all out and cleaned up the inside of the drums.

Despite what I have read, there is no self adjuster on it (on a 2010 model) and only the star wheel adjuster held from spinning by the spring pulling the upper and lower shoes together to the adjuster. I cant see any reasonable way to remove the inspection rubber grommet to adjust them without first removing the caliper, so I am hoping its not gunna be a regular requirement, although since its failed at around 7000km and only one muddy and a few beach runs, I suspect it will happen often.

I am wondering though if the adjuster is moving on its own since its only held from turning by a spring resting against it, or its the pads wearing. Unfortunately I didnt measure the gap in the adjuster, which would have told me next time it needed adjusting if it had moved.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 07-11-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-11-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah.

My Hand Break on my JK is O.K. Not the best though.
Some times it is Good but other times it is rather crap.

Standing at the traffic lights on a slight up hill, the car will start to move backwards slowly. Scared the shit out of me when it first did it.

Now I have to pull the crap out of the H.B handle and even then it does not hold the car. Good thing for 1st Gear etc.

Off road on steep hills, it is almost useless.

The stealer does not seem to do much.