Overheating JK CRD 2.8L Manual - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesio View Post
It's difficult to see exactly what's going on there from the photo, but I'd suggest that making this work will be more trouble than it's worth. The radiator and intercooler work by passing fresh ambient air directly through it, continuously. This is achieved via the mechanical fan or driving at speed (or, normally the combination of both). Even electric fans are, in my experience, next to useless.
If you really want to make it work, you will need to find a way of channeling air from the front of the jeep, around the obstruction and into the grill so the engine fan can pull it through the radiator. This will require some serious ducting.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will start off by pulling the centre part off and making sure this is the actual problem which I am 90% sure it is. The Viscous fan is very light and soft, I will try and play around with that to see if it can work slightly better, I may also cut the 7 slots so there is a square opening, you cant see the slots anymore with the bar anyways, hopefully it will allow more air to get through, I'm hoping it doesnt come down to ducting, it would be tideous work. When I noticed the temp rise I was coming up the Clyde mountain which is a long chicane loop and it was a hot day, most cars have to pull over but i wouldnt expect that from an almost new car so hopefully some minor touches will increase the airflow enough to prevent a spike.
Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
Rear mount radiator! And tmic! Or get a practical and legal bar.
Thanks Chris.

In regards to legality, every state is different. On my previous jk I had a stubby smittybilt and had no issues with authority, keep in mind that the old FJ toyotas came with a stubby bumper standard, I like the stubby ones because they give you greater clearance especially if you have aftermarket fenders as oppose to full width bumpers or the high clearance pitched ones you see on hilux's. From my understanding you cant have any parts of the bumper protruding outwards, ie like the stingers you see on som jk's and it has to be ADR approved for airbag deployment which i highly doubt half the american ones would be..and if you look at ARB they have now introduced a stubby bar as well.. end of the day if I get pulled up for it I'll deal with it then.. I like stubbys they look good..

And on the topic, I think TMIC would be a bit overload, hopefully i dont have to move anything around and can get some more air through with some minor adjustments.. I also heard about something called a CRYO ring which sprays the intercooler, havent looked too much into it yet.
Old 05-01-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 404 Times in 293 Posts

The arb stubby is not available in Australia. Older cars don't have to meet current rules, they don't meet current emissions or safety or esc etc requirements either.
The whole width of the tyre should be covered.

It's your choice and you seem to be aware of potential issues regarding the law. The problem isn't getting fined, the problem is a pedestrian getting sucked in against the tyre and killed or injured.
Old 05-01-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

Well mind is a CRD manual JKU as well and I've never even seen the factory temp needle move from under halfway. For example, I took the camper trailer up past Mansfield over the weekend and even those big long hills on a 40 deg day car fully loaded, pumping 110km/h, the needle never when over halfway. I run Torque on my tablet so was hitting around 106 deg max and around 680 deg EGT max. And that was really working it hard!
Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesio View Post
Well mind is a CRD manual JKU as well and I've never even seen the factory temp needle move from under halfway. For example, I took the camper trailer up past Mansfield over the weekend and even those big long hills on a 40 deg day car fully loaded, pumping 110km/h, the needle never when over halfway. I run Torque on my tablet so was hitting around 106 deg max and around 680 deg EGT max. And that was really working it hard!
Thats good to hear, I wouldnt expect it to move by much if any. Obviously cars are built to factory standards and when you start changing things ie larger tyres, engine mods etc it will have its drawbacks especially this bumper I picked.. By the way what do you mean by you were running torque on your tablet?
Old 05-01-2015
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 584 Times in 369 Posts

I took one look at the picture in the first thread and my initial thought was "what idiot designed this set up?"

I know you like the bar, winch and light mounting......but seriously, its like you taped a big piece of cardboard over your radiator grill inlets and now wonder why it's getting hot. My only surprise is that it's not overheating.
I've never liked anything blocking air to my radiator.......especially high mount winches, or even the Warns with the solenoid box stuck up on top then mounted on the top of the bar, rather than in it. Even big diameter driving lights can affect airflow on some 4WDs when mounted directly in front of the grill.

Just interested in what brand of bar that is? I've never seen one fitted before.
I'm not having a go at you at all....but if you leave that set up the way it is, you are going to have problems...most likely climbing some track in the middle of summer in low range.

Hope it works out for you, OK.
Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
The arb stubby is not available in Australia. Older cars don't have to meet current rules, they don't meet current emissions or safety or esc etc requirements either.
The whole width of the tyre should be covered.

It's your choice and you seem to be aware of potential issues regarding the law. The problem isn't getting fined, the problem is a pedestrian getting sucked in against the tyre and killed or injured.
I wasnt aware that it wasnt being sold in Australia, I was certain I read it somewhere that it was available here but I couldnt guarantee that, you might be right.

Yeah I guess I didnt take the practical approach, I never really did with my last JK, there are hundreds of parts you can buy for these and we all want to have our own unique touches, I picked this bar, but am dissapointed that a reputable company would design something like this and it would cause such issue's, if it was a one of piece I wouldve certainly asked the questions but then again if you go to Apple to buy an iphone cover you dont question their product.. Lets see how they respond to my concerns now that I have paid for the item and its here :/

And you are right about someone getting sucked into the wheel well, though highly unlikely, but then again what is the likelihood of a truck on the same road running over a family car and injuring everyone inside, should we make trucks use its own lane for safety? kind of sound like my father when you say that but im sure we all bend the rules to some degree.. whether it be larger mud tyres or aftermarket lights etc.. I like having the variety to choose from and hopefully we can see more done up Jeeps out there..
Post New Thread  Reply