Overheating JK CRD 2.8L Manual - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighP View Post
I took one look at the picture in the first thread and my initial thought was "what idiot designed this set up?"

I know you like the bar, winch and light mounting......but seriously, its like you taped a big piece of cardboard over your radiator grill inlets and now wonder why it's getting hot. My only surprise is that it's not overheating.
I've never liked anything blocking air to my radiator.......especially high mount winches, or even the Warns with the solenoid box stuck up on top then mounted on the top of the bar, rather than in it. Even big diameter driving lights can affect airflow on some 4WDs when mounted directly in front of the grill.

Just interested in what brand of bar that is? I've never seen one fitted before.
I'm not having a go at you at all....but if you leave that set up the way it is, you are going to have problems...most likely climbing some track in the middle of summer in low range.

Hope it works out for you, OK.

Hey Leigh,

I guess I didnt do too much research mainly because it was a reputable company 'Fab Fours USA' this particular model was on display at SEMA last year as well, it had the combination of lighting brackets and the winch and I liked the look of it 'again personal opinion, im sure everyone has different taste' but as i mentioned before if you go into Apple store to buy a phone cover, you dont doubt that your phone will overheat in one, you would assume they have designed something that works.. and its not as restrictive as it looks, perhaps thats why its not overheating completley, and I have also now seen 2 independant mechanics, one is a good all round 4wd mechanic and one was at JEEP dealer and none of them pointed the finger at the bumper immediatley. Jeep said it would've amplified any minor issues and recommended working on the Viscous fan..

hmm, I wonder what the response will be from the company when I raise this to them.. def cant afford a flight over there weekly to chase it up..
Old 05-01-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

I had to change from this....
To this....

The lights were sufficient to disrupt the airflow through the small grille so that normal driving could push the temps up.
You can chase your tail trying to find ways to keep it cool without losing the bar but the manufacturer was onto something when they decided airflow was the easiest and cheapest way do the job. But hey.... It's your money and if you want to throw lots of it at your jeep pointlessly then that's your choice.
The second point I would make is the factory viscous fan is not reliable. Mine was cactus but was still getting sufficient airflow from the elec fan that I was still able to tow in 40deg heat. I only noticed it was hotter than usual and checked the fan.
Hayden do a heavy duty one and it's cheap as... Summit Racing direct or on their ebay page.
Oh and when I say tow...it's about 1.8 ton of Jayco, just got home and parked it up and at 35deg the engine sat at 88 deg 100km/h
Matt

Last edited by Macca2801; 05-01-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2015
CrawlerStar

Liked 136 Times in 81 Posts

Quote:
Thats good to hear, I wouldnt expect it to move by much if any. Obviously cars are built to factory standards and when you start changing things ie larger tyres, engine mods etc it will have its drawbacks especially this bumper I picked.. By the way what do you mean by you were running torque on your tablet?
Torque is an Android app that gives you electronic guages via the OBD2 port. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en
Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca2801 View Post
I had to change from this....
To this....

The lights were sufficient to disrupt the airflow through the small grille so that normal driving could push the temps up.
You can chase your tail trying to find ways to keep it cool without losing the bar but the manufacturer was onto something when they decided airflow was the easiest and cheapest way do the job. But hey.... It's your money and if you want to throw lots of it at your jeep pointlessly then that's your choice.
The second point I would make is the factory viscous fan is not reliable. Mine was cactus but was still getting sufficient airflow from the elec fan that I was still able to tow in 40deg heat. I only noticed it was hotter than usual and checked the fan.
Hayden do a heavy duty one and it's cheap as... Summit Racing direct or on their ebay page.
Oh and when I say tow...it's about 1.8 ton of Jayco, just got home and parked it up and at 35deg the engine sat at 88 deg 100km/h
Matt

Thanks Matt, that makes you the third person to verify that the viscous fan is weak. So you had to get rid of ur lights and the winch? If your temp was rising with that setup then mines definitely going to be worse.. And no I don't want to spend to a of cash I don't think anyone would.. But I am contemplating to fix/upgrade viscous fan and possibly cut a square in the centre of the grill to get rid of the lines in the slots. Before I do that I may just pull off the centre piece and run the bar and winch on it's own to see if I have overheating problems, fortunately they came in 2 pieces.
Old 05-01-2015
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayesio View Post
Torque is an Android app that gives you electronic guages via the OBD2 port. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

That sounds awesome.. Another reason to get an android too bad I don't have one
Old 05-01-2015
MudSplasher

Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwranglertdi View Post
Thanks Matt, that makes you the third person to verify that the viscous fan is weak. So you had to get rid of ur lights and the winch? If your temp was rising with that setup then mines definitely going to be worse.. And no I don't want to spend to a of cash I don't think anyone would.. But I am contemplating to fix/upgrade viscous fan and possibly cut a square in the centre of the grill to get rid of the lines in the slots. Before I do that I may just pull off the centre piece and run the bar and winch on it's own to see if I have overheating problems, fortunately they came in 2 pieces.
The viscous fan isn't weak at all but they fail, ie the bimetallic strip that opens the ports to let the fluid in to lock up the fan...simply didn't. So my fan was just freewheeling. My point on the fan is it WONT fix your problem as even without my viscous fan the heat was kept reasonable while towing in unreasonable temps. Nothing you do will fix your airflow problem until you remove that air dam of a front bar...but Goodluck with it.

Matt
Old 05-01-2015
Full Flexer

Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0375 View Post
The arb stubby is not available in Australia. Older cars don't have to meet current rules, they don't meet current emissions or safety or esc etc requirements either.
The whole width of the tyre should be covered.

It's your choice and you seem to be aware of potential issues regarding the law. The problem isn't getting fined, the problem is a pedestrian getting sucked in against the tyre and killed or injured.
Can get the arb stubby from dbor, arb won't sell it though even though its made right in vic
Post New Thread  Reply