Commander 2 Month Ownership Review - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-03-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts
Default Commander 2 Month Ownership Review

Hey all.

So it has been 2 months since I picked up my standard Commander CRD and I have now put over 3,000kms on it. I thought it would be a good time to review my ownership experience to date and seek some feedback from other owners on here regarding a few issues.

Pros:

- Fantastic engine that makes incredibly smooth power, effortless torque, provides great highway economy (between 9.5-11.5L/100 @110km/hr depending on the wind direction) and sounds pretty good too. Overtaking at highway speeds is awesome where it really comes into its own. This comes in handy here, where overtaking 53m road trains is almost a daily occurrence.
- Very comfortable on long trips with plenty of leg and head room for someone at my height (6 foot). It makes my WJ and my wife's KJ feel cramped in comparison. The seats are not as soft and comfortable as the WJ, however the better seating position makes it a winner on long trips.
- Lots of space inside which makes it easy when carrying loads. The cabin is really quiet on the road and there is very little in the way of clunks or rattles that can be heard. A very refined feeling car.
- Feels very stable and sturdy on the road. It really feels like it would take something quite large to knock you off course...Doesn't have too much body roll around corners (the stock shocks were replaced recently) and the steering is precise and sharp for a big vehicle.
- Limited features are great! I have never had a car with parking sensors before and these are worth their weight in gold. Also love the climate control and A/C in the back for the dog, heated seats, the trip computer is handy, although no instant L/100 sucks.

Cons:

- Whilst the engine is great once the revs pick up, the turbo lag on takeoff is pretty average. In general it is fine, but there has been a couple of times that I have almost been caught out trying to sneak through a gap at an intersection only for it to bog down in the middle of the oncoming lane. Will probably adjust my driving style to suit over time as I get used to it.
- Fuel economy is pretty average around town (15-16L/100) unless I drive it like a grandma. If you drive it with some pep that would easily reach 18-19L/100. This may be the area where the planned GDE tune will be most noticeable - by closing the EGR valve at part throttle when it is normally being opened.
- I find the auto trans to be a little "clunky" at times and it also seems to hold gears longer than necessary when at cruising speeds. Are there any trans shift kits available for these or a tuning program to change the shift points? I find the 5 speed 545FRE autos in my WJ and KJ to be superior in almost every way, except for no tiptronic function. But even that is a little token on these as the gear changes are not instant.
- Whilst the interior is great for size and comfort, the centre rear headrest is a design disaster as you can't see anything out the back window at all. I have read somewhere that the headrest is actually removable if you pull the back of the seat off and I will have to look into it ASAP. Whilst there are a lot of little storage spaces in the cabin, most are pretty useless and the door pockets don't hold anything decent.
- The standard ride height is ridiculously low! Never has a car needed a lift kit more than the Commander. Easily fixed I suppose, but annoying all the same.
- I didn't realise that the Limited model didn't come with the under body protection plates like the standard Commander does, so now I'll have to try to source some at a reasonable cost or have some fabricated.

Overall:

I'm loving the car and I'm glad I got it. I just need to start adding my planned mods and it will all start coming together the way that I want. In some ways it's fun having a blank canvas, the hardest part is convincing the Minister for War & Finance of the merits of each of the said mods.

Planned Short Term Mods:

- Fit the 245/75 R17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tyres that I picked up on the weekend.
- Modify the front of the tow bar so that I can fit said tyre into the spare wheel well. It needs about 15-20mm cut off the back of the square hitch tube in order to allow it to fit without deflating.
- Fit the new Rhino Rack crossbars and mounting kit that I ordered today. Try to find a suitable full-size alloy roof rack to go with them. I like the Rhino Rack Pioneer trays, but it's a lot of dosh to dish out for a piece of alloy. Maybe I'll find one second hand?
- Fit my Provent oil separator - need to look into this as I have no idea where to fit it.
- Install and Anderson plug and cabling for camper trailer charging.
- Install a cargo barrier.
- Buy and install a minimum 2" lift kit. I would ultimately love to go the full 4" Superlift kit, but this won't be happening for at least a couple of years. I have been considering just going with a 2" budget spacer lift for now as my standard shocks are new. What are people's thoughts on the Terra Flex "Over the top" of the strut style spacer lifts? I would imagine I may probably need longer rear shocks if I'm going to offroad it as they could top out, however the front should be right as it is not modified.
- Purchase a GDE tune.
- Remove the 3rd row seats and install a storage box in their place with an integrated fridge slide.

Any input from other Commander owners on the issues I've raised above would be greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to many more good times ahead in the big black beast!
Old 24-03-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Hanna, have the same engine in my WH of course, I initially reduced turbo lag by dumping the factory muffler and replaced it with a straight through one and replaced the air filter with a hi flow one. However, the GDE tune will completely eliminate it...if you think the engine has some power now wait till you get the tune -
Old 24-03-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoea26 View Post
Hanna, have the same engine in my WH of course, I initially reduced turbo lag by dumping the factory muffler and replaced it with a straight through one and replaced the air filter with a hi flow one. However, the GDE tune will completely eliminate it...if you think the engine has some power now wait till you get the tune -

Hi Roscoe,

Can you get this high flow air filter for a wrangler crd?

If so you wouldnt happen to have a link handy?
Old 24-03-2015
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 184 Times in 136 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoea26 View Post
Thanks Rosco.

I know I will love the GDE tune, unfortunately it is a little down on the priority list at the moment due to the cost, so will have to live with the turbo lag for now. That being said, the first thing I noticed when I took a look under the Commander was the mammoth size of the muffler and I was wondering if and when I should rip it out!

How is the sound and cabin noise with the straight through on yours? Does it drone at all?

I was fine with replacing the metre long muffler on my WJ with a straight through as I love the V8 sound, but I don't want to make my CRD sound silly if I can help it. As it is it sounds like there's a nice note to the engine at certain revs, but I just want to be sure before tearing into it and then regretting it.

Cheers,
Hanna
Old 24-03-2015
CrawlerStar

Hi Hanna,

No it's not load or droning it's actually a low level sound as I believe that the turbo dampens the level. To me it's a nice note, when the muffler guy cut the big muffler off there was really no loudness at all...it was surprisingly quiet.

We played around with 6 mufflers and numbered them..took each for a test run and picked the number with the best note...the best note for me came from the muffler with an offset pipe angle of 5 degrees through the muffler, the straight through one with no offset was actually quiet we needed to get a bit of an angle in the muffler to get any sort of deeper bass sound out of the engine.

I live in a small town so it was no trouble for the muffler guy to play around if fact he was keen to do it. If you can get your muffler workshop to do something similar you'll be able to get a sound that suits you...it's surprising the different sounds you'll get with different angles through the muffler.

Hope this helps.
Old 24-03-2015
CrawlerStar

Hanna,

I overlooked mentioning that I intend to upgrade my exhaust system to the Murchison WH 3" SS it will have a hi flow cat and straight through muffler. This will compliment the GDE tune.
Old 24-03-2015
CrawlerStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwranglertdi View Post
Hi Roscoe,

Can you get this high flow air filter for a wrangler crd?

If so you wouldnt happen to have a link handy?
There are 2 that you might consider the K&N and Unifilter both are wet filters in that they use each manufacturers special oil. There are also some dry hi flow filters. There's a bit of contention about the benefits of these oil type of filters, there is a thread on the WH site some good discussion there..I tried to find it but couldn't you might have more success or someone else might come in and post it.

I had a K&N since 08 with no issues I personally found that they filter very well in fact they can clog up and start restricting the air flow so I regularly cleaned mine and re-oiled it. I recently moved to a foam type UniFliter mainly to give them a go and I've formed the view that they are a cut above the K&N mainly because the filter is much thicker than the K&N but the airflow is still very good...my snorkel has about the same sucking noise as when I had the K&N. The secret to them is be careful you don't over-oil after cleaning them.

Here are the links:

http://knfilters.com.au/

http://www.uniflow.com.au/

I wasn't sure of the Model etc of your vehicle but I'm pretty sure both manufacturers will have one for your vehicle.
Post New Thread  Reply