Dual Battery - where to thread battery cables? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2022

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Dual Battery - where to thread battery cables?

I've got the battery cable and ignition cable all ready to go to finish my dual battery setup. Only question is, which path to follow through body?

I'm going to tap the ignition lead into the fuse box and I'm assuming I can plug the battery leads into the jump start nodes on the drivers side of the engine bay. If not, I'll attach directly to the battery terminals.

But here's the hard part. Where to run the leads from the engine bay to the rear? I've got a 12v Power Box in the back running a DCDC charger, and an AGM deep cycle battery inside a Power box as the secondary battery.

So I was thinking of running the cables down through the gap to the left of engine (facing the car from the front) under the body, along the driver side rail under the body, up through the wheel arch plastic and drill a small hole in the wheel arch to poke through the rear. But I'm concerned about grinding the cable when bottoming out on rocks etc when taking it off road and I would rather not drill holes in the wheel arch plastic.

I would like to thread it through the body instead, however I have no idea where to thread it and how to feed it through the inside cavities / what panels I can remove etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2022
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,966 Times in 2,339 Posts

Using the jumpers is wise, I would fit a 35-40amp maxi fuse there as well and to run it underneath, if you look at the bonnet hinge just under it you will see a plastic tube which is the drain, my 8 B&S cable ran down it fine and doesn't block, I ran my cable thru it and underneath the body to the back across the sub frame at the rear wheels and into the back through the large grommet at the rear LH wheel well.... The Maxi fuse is bolted to the jumpers using proper battery lugs and has an Anderson plug which the cable to rear plugs into that way I can plug in a compressor or something at the front easily if needed. Other cables for internal gear like UHF aerial etc run thru the large grommet on passenger side near blower fan.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 10-07-2022
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 1,156 Times in 611 Posts

I had power run to a DCDC Charger in my 2014 by my leccy, he connected to the jumper connector under the bonnet with a likely 35amp fuse.
I'll have a look today and see if I can located where he threaded the cable/s through as they connect to the charger under the passenger seat.
Old 10-07-2022

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

Check how many Amps your dcdc charger chargers at and run a bigger fuse than that. Keep in mind the current given is the output of the charger so it may draw more. Basically the fuse is just to protect your cable so make sure you use the right fuse for the cable size.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Using the jumpers is wise, I would fit a 35-40amp maxi fuse there as well and to run it underneath, if you look at the bonnet hinge just under it you will see a plastic tube which is the drain, my 8 B&S cable ran down it fine and doesn't block, I ran my cable thru it and underneath the body to the back across the sub frame at the rear wheels and into the back through the large grommet at the rear LH wheel well.... The Maxi fuse is bolted to the jumpers using proper battery lugs and has an Anderson plug which the cable to rear plugs into that way I can plug in a compressor or something at the front easily if needed. Other cables for internal gear like UHF aerial etc run thru the large grommet on passenger side near blower fan.
Thanks I'll look for that drain. Sounds like a plan
Old 10-07-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjunkie View Post
Check how many Amps your dcdc charger chargers at and run a bigger fuse than that. Keep in mind the current given is the output of the charger so it may draw more. Basically the fuse is just to protect your cable so make sure you use the right fuse for the cable size.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up. The battery cable has an inline 50 amp fuse near the battery terminals and the ignition sensor wire has a 10 amp fuse.
Old 10-07-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper6 View Post
I had power run to a DCDC Charger in my 2014 by my leccy, he connected to the jumper connector under the bonnet with a likely 35amp fuse.
I'll have a look today and see if I can located where he threaded the cable/s through as they connect to the charger under the passenger seat.
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to do this. Much appreciated.
Post New Thread  Reply