Jeep reliability - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jeep reliability

Hi All, not sure if I want to ask this question...........
I met up with some school mates I hadn't seen for years of which 2 are experienced mechanics (20 plus years in the game). The inevitable question came up - what do you drive, so I said Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015, Laredo and am very happy with it. They both said that they are unreliable and best get rid of them when the warranty comes up. - Not what I wanted to hear as our plan was to stay with our Jeep for 5 years plus and do some substantial Outback treks.
Now both asked the same question but at different times and separate of each other - yet the same response.
My question is - is there any truth in it?
I have over 40,000 Kms' on my Jeep and have had 1 "limp home" problem/issue - program upgrade eventually required to do with the exhaust system not clearing itself properly (would have been terrible if out bush).
Can I be confident in my Jeep being reliable when going outback? We are looking at spending $$$ on 2nd Battery, bull bar, storage etc but I'm not so sure now!
Old 21-01-2016
RubiconSlammer

Liked 279 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto102 View Post
Hi All, not sure if I want to ask this question...........
I met up with some school mates I hadn't seen for years of which 2 are experienced mechanics (20 plus years in the game). The inevitable question came up - what do you drive, so I said Jeep Grand Cherokee 2015, Laredo and am very happy with it. They both said that they are unreliable and best get rid of them when the warranty comes up. - Not what I wanted to hear as our plan was to stay with our Jeep for 5 years plus and do some substantial Outback treks.
Now both asked the same question but at different times and separate of each other - yet the same response.
My question is - is there any truth in it?
I have over 40,000 Kms' on my Jeep and have had 1 "limp home" problem/issue - program upgrade eventually required to do with the exhaust system not clearing itself properly (would have been terrible if out bush).
Can I be confident in my Jeep being reliable when going outback? We are looking at spending $$$ on 2nd Battery, bull bar, storage etc but I'm not so sure now!
I get this alot, and here is my view on it:

Any car can have problems, there have been prados (apparently the most reliable car ever made is you ask some) that have blown motors with injector leaks, had flooded electronics on water crossings, blown turbos, etc.

But the issue with the Jeep will be maintenance, parts availability and repair costs out of warranty, and also access to mechanics who know how to fix them in remote areas.

The trade off is that they are far nicer to drive than the 'reliable' options, and there are plenty of owners who have done big trips through remote areas without problem.

If you are planning on going out bush, then make sure you have good roadside assistance options, if you are really unlucky you may be stuck somewhere for a while waiting for a dealer to get parts on a very slow boat from the US. And if you are even more unlucky be prepared for some big bills out of warranty. Those are the trade offs for so much car at such a low price.
Old 21-01-2016
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I only get this from people who are ignorant of the facts. It's a case of them hearing it from someone else who heard it from their cousin's wife's sisters dog.

It all seems to stem from shows like ACA giving air time to someone that's made a video. The only reason it makes air time is because Jeep created a very successful ad campaign that everyone recognises instantly.

Yes there have been problems, just like there has been with every make and model ever produced. My 2011 Jeep Wrangler has 56000 kms and has never had an issue unlike the so called unbreakable Hilux that I got rid of. Both my Brother in laws used to rip into me until they started having problems with their Ford Ranger and Holden Colorado. It also helped that I often had to pull both of them out of the sand.

The problem with Jeep is having to deal with FCA who from what I understand can be very difficult to deal with if you do have a problem.

Keep the Jeep, I'd be very surprised if you regret it.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 21-01-2016

Liked 151 Times in 92 Posts

The thing about going from a GC to say, a Prado, would be it's a backward step in terms of tech, driving enjoyment and general liveability. I think the Jeep wagons are pretty unbeatable as a jack-of-all trades vehicle that's decent around town, comfortable, and is actually useful off road.

The theoretical reliability of a Toyota comes primarily from the fact they're pretty simple machines - and that means a trade-off in other areas that you may value.

In my family we've owned three jeeps over a total of 16 years, each of them used in all conditions from city to outback, and not one has ever let us down. Minor problems, yes, but actual breakdowns - none. I love mine and value it's all-rounder talent. I wouldn't give that up for a theoretical improvement in future reliability.
Old 21-01-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, great to hear!
Old 21-01-2016
Senior Newbie

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Just Another one for you, I am Running the 2014 Laredo Diesel, This Being Jeep No 5 For Me, Made an Error in 2009 Bought a Pajero, Very happy again Now. I Find that the People Who Think they No All Have Never Owned a Jeep
Old 21-01-2016

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 2012GC had serious idling problems from day one, it was eventually sorted around 40,000k now on 160,000k running like a dream.
Looking to update to a 2016GC.
Post New Thread  Reply