WH Diesel EGR Disable or Leave it alone. - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-04-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
I was researching scan gauges and came across a post (I think it was a UK 300c forum) where it said the EGR was closed most of the time and only noticed it open when driving around town at low speeds.
If this is the case someone who tows of does regular hwy speeds should not suffer from excessive sludge build up.
If I can find the site again I will post a link.

Can the EGR just be blocked leaving the valve and solenoid in place or will the computer detect this and throw a code?
Clarky you cannot just plug the EGR as the ECU is monitoring it's action through the AFM. Hence you need to do the $2.00 shunt to disable it electronically. The shunt uses the original signal through a resistor to change the value that the AFM detects the same as it does when the air flow changes therefore the ECU thinks the EGR is still opening and working when it doesn't.
Old 16-04-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester View Post
Here's info on the swirl motor disable.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=97061
and the EGR disable if you have electronic EGR
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=88374
and this one was for the 2.7 with vacuum actuated EGR and if the early 3.0's had vacuum I think it works for that as well but best to read yourself as it's been ages since I did this.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=68928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Crow
The 642 has frequency modulating airmass meters, rather than voltage modulating ones, and thus the mod will not work.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...=88374&page=40
Unfortunately the EGR mod on the 2nd link wont work with the 642 V6 in the WH (see post 398 )
It appears that a tune like DGE is the only way to disable the EGR operation.

A lot to read on these links

Last edited by Clarky; 16-04-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 16-04-2013
No Winching

I did read this a few posts later.

Hi Boxbrownie, I have the same engine OM642 on my Jeep Grand Cherokee, but on my car I have only one MAF and the Main Unit is Chrysler...
I have installed the mod from 6 month, and the car work very well! I have the MIL light only after 500km, after the MIL light remain on for 40km and after turn off automatically untill to another 500km.
In the Main Unit I have the "EGR insufficient flow" code,but the engine don't go in the limp home mode and go very well!
Maybe with the Mercedes Main Unit you will have the limp home mode,but you can try the mod and after you can tell us if it work or not!

Page 40 of 42 « First < 30 38 39 40 41 42 >
Old 16-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

Interesting researching the EGR disable appears very common in a lot of vechiles but it appears the WH is not making it easy with conflicting reports.
I like running the Auto Enginuity scan and getting nil DTC.
nOT happy with the MIL light on and a permenment DTC code.

I am not willing to spend a grand on a green tune , I dont need anymore power. I also question 3rd party tunes.

The Wynns EGR 3 clean is looking good ...maybe a 1/2 a can treatment immediately prior to oil changes???? (every 12,000klm)
Combined with the provent filter change every 30,000 klm.

My research is not finding any negatives with the EGR Wynns cleaner and interesting some Nissan dealerships are using it as routine.

Has anyone found any negatives with the Wynns EGR3 / 4?
Old 16-04-2013
No Winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotqld View Post
Interesting researching the EGR disable appears very common in a lot of vechiles but it appears the WH is not making it easy with conflicting reports.
I like running the Auto Enginuity scan and getting nil DTC.
nOT happy with the MIL light on and a permenment DTC code.

I am not willing to spend a grand on a green tune , I dont need anymore power. I also question 3rd party tunes.

The Wynns EGR 3 clean is looking good ...maybe a 1/2 a can treatment immediately prior to oil changes???? (every 12,000klm)
Combined with the provent filter change every 30,000 klm.

My research is not finding any negatives with the EGR Wynns cleaner and interesting some Nissan dealerships are using it as routine.

Has anyone found any negatives with the Wynns EGR3 / 4?
Only in unjustified opinion. Have not read of any examples of issues. I'll be using it in the wifes Challenger if I can find a source, it too has an EGR system that is to hard to disable without a retune.

Of note though in the Challenger the EGR is designed in such a way that it can be blanked off the old fashioned way. They are finding that some vehicles that are blanked do not throw codes and some do with no pattern. Some have been fitting a blanking plate with a 6-10mm hole to still allow the system to recognise an airflow change but dramatically reduce the volume of gas reintroduced. Not sure if this is an option on the WH or not.
Old 16-04-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

The Provent works very well at reducing the oil in your intake system, a very good mod if you want to minimise future problems. It isn't hard to install, nor is it overly expensive to purchase.

The next best thing to do is an EGR delete as it will solve a load of problems IMHO. While the Wynns product may work well it is really only a bandaid to the real problem which is the EGR system.

Another benefit of the EGR delete on the WJ at least is the level of smoke is significantly reduced.

FWIW I have used carby cleaner to flush my intake without any problems.
Old 17-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

I bought my WH GC CRD with 178,000k,s on the clock after having problems with the EGR on my previous Citroen diesel
I decided to remove it on the Jeep not so easy so spoke to CRDSTU got a GDE tune fitted a provent 200,KN filter panel the manifold was full of gunk used the Wynns cleaner also drained a litre of oil out of the inter-cooler had it ultrasonically cleaned to make sure no oil residue
Vehicle now has 255,000 k,s on the clock and has never gone better also blows no smoke only on very hard acceleration oh
I also use 3.2 ml per litre fuel of TC-W3 oil in the fuel this OM642 engine is going to see a million k,s in my hands

Modern European diesels don't have egr valves they inject urea into the exhaust system to burn the soot Mercedes call it add blue and Citroen call it eolys fluid

If you like the WH and intend on keeping it get rid of the EGR and fit a provent and Kn panel use the GDE tune to switch of the EGR and remap the engine
you will be very happy not only that much better driveability and better economy
I would say my gde tune plus provent and kn,panel will be paid for by the time I do 300,000 k,s in fuel savings
Post New Thread  Reply